Saturday, January 26, 2013

Opal (Lux #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout: review

Goodreads rating: 4.53
Paperback382 pages
Published December 11th 2012 by Entangled Teen
Series: Lux #3
Source: Bought

No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.
After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.

WARNING! If you haven't read Onyx, this review will be very spoilery for you!

Opal starts with a bang: Daemon sneaks into Katy's bed and then a dead body flies through the window and onto her floor. This pretty much sets the stage for a sexy, action-packed third installment in this series. There's a whole lot of drama though too, and people not being able to get over things. Dawson is having a really tough time since they broke him out of the Luxen prison. He has some animosity towards Katy (well, really, it's towards everyone, but especially Katy) because he sees what happened with him and Beth happening all over again with his brother. Especially now that they know Beth isn't the same. All Daemon wanted was his brother back. But he couldn't have imagined that he would be this damaged. The other thing is that Dee is still not over Adam's death. She blames Katy, so our main character basically loses her best friend for an entire book, no matter how much she tries to patch things up. And then, of course, there's Katy's mom's boyfriend, who's still out there and everyone's waiting to see what happened to him after Daemon healed him.

Mmm the romance... It was hot guys. I can't say much more because I don't want to give anything away, but Daemon is seriously still one of my top five fictional boyfriends. And this book solidified that, despite everything else that was going on. I'd say the only thing that was off about the romance between Katy and Daemon is that there are a lot of nights where Katy dreams that Daemon being in her bed, but there are no signs that he was ever there in the morning. Like, his scent isn't there and he never mentions it, so she assumes she's dreaming (which she finds super embarrassing so she never asks him if he's been in her room). Wrong assumption is all I'm going to say there. The other characters have romance stuff going on too. Dee is mourning Adam but growing closer with one of the other Luxen (and sadly with Daemon's ex as well). Dawson will do anything to get Beth back, so he's obsessing over that and is not making the best decisions when it comes to going after her. And Katy's mom still thinks the doctor (who's name slips my mind) is a good guy. But he's at a "conference" (AKA waiting to see what happens from Daemon healing him) and we don't see him for most of the book. It's not the last of him though.

I love how JLA adds all these other stories to the picture, but sticks to what we want to see most: Daemon and Katy doing more than just making out. But there's a final element that bugged the crap out of me, which was Blake. He comes back. The stupid idiot comes back. Sadly, no one can rip his throat out for killing Adam because he can help them find Beth. Like, he knows where she is and he has a guy that can help them get in to where they're holding her and his best friend that he was so set on saving. But that's not the only reason he's there. He's under some delusion that he and Katy can still happen somehow. Needless to say, he needs his butt kicked. But even at the end, it's obvious saving his friend takes precedence over everything, even Katy. JLA, you're killing me, just KILLING me, with that ending. I mean, I know she's going to get out of this situation, but if you hurt her or Daemon irreparably so help me woman there will be hell to pay! That being said, I cannot wait for Origin, the fourth book. I mean, July isn't that far away, but it's far away enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.