Wednesday, December 5, 2012

WinterHaven Sleigh Tour: Winter Book Review


I'm so excited to have joined the WinterHaven Sleigh Tour hosted by WinterHaven Books. This week, we are posting our choice of a Winter Book Review, and I'm reviewing Winter's Kiss! To see who else is on the sleigh, go to WinterHaven Sleigh Tour for a list of participating blogs.


Goodreads rating: 3.96
Paperback, 416 pages
Published January 3rd, 2012 by Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing
Source: Bought

Cozy up to a double dose of winter-themed romantic comedy with two books in one bind-up.

Lexi has come up with a master plan to make Cameron break up with her: get him to fall for another girl so she’ll be free (and guilt-free, too). But when the plan goes well—too well—Lexi starts to wonder if she hasn’t made a terrible mistake. Has she let the perfect guy get away? And is it too late to get him back?

Meanwhile, Hayden and Nick’s steamy relationship has ended in a frosty breakup, and now they’re just friends. But when they decide to go head-to-head in a boarding contest, the friendly competition gets heated….Will sparks start to fly on and off the slopes?


The Ex Games: I love Jennifer Echols! Her characters are always so real, but she still manages to come out with a fluffy romance. It's funny because both of these stories had some personal for me, and this one was simple in the fact that I wish I could board like Hayden. I've tried and failed a few times to truly learn how to snowboard, and then I either bruised by tailbone or was just too sore the next day to go again. So I was living vicariously through Hayden. Not only that, but Nick sounded pretty hot. Their relationship was a weird one. I get the whole dating in late middle school/early high school and it not exactly living up to expectations on either person's part. But you could tell from the first couple pages that these two were meant to be together. They're both stubborn, but they both also obviously care about each other. The only thing that annoyed me about their relationship (as it was even pointed out by Nick) was basically make out and then get into a fight. And honestly they hadn't changed enough at the end to make me believe that this pattern wouldn't continue. But it was a great story, filled with tension and romance and winter!

The Twelve Dates of Christmas: I'll admit I didn't like this one as much as the first one, mostly because the main character, Lexi, annoyed the crap out of me. I hate people that calculate and plan every single second of their future, and honestly I don't what Cam ever saw in her. My connection with this one is two-fold, the first being that I once went out with a guy named Cameron and it didn't end too well, and the second being that I'm in a long-term relationship from high school as well (5 years this February!). But I would never do what Lexi did. For being someone that really analyzes things, she didn't think her plan of hooking her boyfriend up with a new girl through. I loved the setting though. A town in Wisconsin obsessed with Christmas is a place I want to live in! I think what really made this book for me was all the holiday stuff and the relationship that was a "secret" (not really, although we aren't told about it until the end) between Lexi's best friend, Allie, and Lexi's cousin, Nick. Another Nick! But I liked this Nick better, and they really rounded out the weirdness of this story.

All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed both of these short novels. They're full of YA fluff, but that's what holiday contemporaries are for. They're like the definition of fluff! And sometimes, it's good to take a break from the serious paranormal books and indulge on a sweet read like this one. Definitely recommended for those cold nights inside!


And now, a giveaway!


As part of the festivities, WinterHaven Books is hosting a giveaway that will include a copy of Dash & Lily's Book of Dares and Let it Snow. Good luck and happy holidays!

2 comments:

  1. Great book choice! This book sounds interesting and of course, love the winter theme ;) Thank you for participating in the WinterHaven sleigh tour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to read this Nicole. I love Jennfer's writing even though it can be frustrating at times. I totally know what you mean about snowboarding!! I bruised my tailbone from a day of learning and it was sore for a good year after! Every none in my body ached at the end of the day and I was in tears at dinner. I finally have it managed somewhat, but not my favorite sport. Great review. We participated in this tour as well. :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.