Saturday, December 8, 2012

Prodigy (Legend #2) by Marie Lu: review

Goodreads rating: 4.46
ARC, 384 pages
Expected publication: January 29th 2013 by Putnam Juvenile
Series: Legend #2
Source: ARC from ALA

Jan. 4. 1932 Hours.

Ocean Standard Time

Thirty-Five Days After Metias’s Death


June and Day arrive in Vegas just as the unthinkable happens: the Elector Primo dies, and his son Anden takes his place. With the Republic edging closer to chaos, the two join a group of Patriot rebels eager to help Day rescue his brother and offer passage to the Colonies. They have only one request—June and Day must assassinate the new Elector.

It’s their chance to change the nation, to give voice to a people silenced for too long.

But as June realizes this Elector is nothing like his father, she’s haunted by the choice ahead. What if Anden is a new beginning? What if revolution must be more than loss and vengeance, anger and blood—what if the Patriots are wrong?

I was surprised by how much I loved this sequel. Legend, while it wasn't bad, wasn't my favorite book of the year either. I've met Marie a couple times and she's super awesome, but I couldn't love Legend. Prodigy stepped it up a notch. Prodigy is all about honor and fealty to your government vs. patriotism. June always thought that her government was in the right, but in Legend she learned that she's completely wrong. Not only that, but we find out in Prodigy that the Republic of America isn't as big a power as June and Day thought. The Republic is very strict, so they don't show news from other places. But these other places aren't so strict, so the couple on the run begin to realize that the Republic of America is corrupt to the rest of the world because of how much they limit their citizens. This book takes place mostly in Denver, which is where the Resistance is supposed to be. That's where they meet Razor, the head of the Patriots and a spy Republic Commander. But needless to say, he's definitely not who he seems to be.

So now there's a love square, which is one of the only things about this book that kind of ticked me off. Anden (AKA the dead ruler's son who's now in power) loves June, June loves Day, but also possibly Anden. Day loves June, but maybe also Tess (who we met in the first book), who loves Day. Oy. But Tess really grew up in this book. We knew all along in Legend that Tess had some feelings for Day and she wasn't exactly happy about June being around all the time. Day had to leave Tess behind when he was captured in book one, but somehow she finds her way to the Patriots. I think what made this book so real to me though is that teen love is this confusing. So many YA books have this disgusting instalove that just doesn't happen at that age. There's a lot of confusion, and since most teens don't even know who they are yet, it makes sense that they're confused about who they belong with. Especially in a messed up world like this one. Both Day and June are unsure of why the other likes them, which is so typical of teenagers. They're more insecure than most people because of those lovely raging hormones.

I actually grew to kind of like Anden. Not as a love interest for June, but as a person. He's obviously not who his father was, and he has some great ideas for the Republic. The problem is that the Patriots will only provide Day and June with safety if they kill Anden. And while June doesn't love Anden, she has to face the idea that he's not all bad and that maybe killing him isn't the right thing. It's a very precarious situation, especially when June's made to seem like she's beginning to love Anden in order to gain his trust, and Day is watching almost the whole time. Another thing that made me love this book is, not only the intense tension between all of the characters, but also the addition of more history of how the earth got this way. The sun got too hot, which killed people. Then the ice melted, so the people that were still alive also had to deal with floods. That's why much of California is under water.

This was an absolutely amazing sequel! Oftentimes, the sequel is just a filler book, but this was nothing like that. And while I'm glad I got to read Day and June's story earlier than most, it means that I have to wait that much longer for the third book. With that ending, I've been anxious since the moment I finished this book to see what happens next!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.