Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Let the Sky Fall (Let the Sky Fall #1) by Shannon Messenger: review

Goodreads rating: 4.32
Hardcover, 416 pages
Expected publication: March 5th 2013 by Simon Pulse
Source: ARC from Around the World ARC Tours

A broken past and a divided future can’t stop the electric connection of two teens in this “charged and romantic” (Becca Fitzpatrick), lush novel.

Seventeen-year-old Vane Weston has no idea how he survived the category five tornado that killed his parents. And he has no idea if the beautiful, dark-haired girl who’s swept through his dreams every night since the storm is real. But he hopes she is.

Seventeen-year-old Audra is a sylph, an air elemental. She walks on the wind, can translate its alluring songs, and can even coax it into a weapon with a simple string of commands. She’s also a guardian—Vane’s guardian—and has sworn an oath to protect Vane at all costs. Even if it means sacrificing her own life.

When a hasty mistake reveals their location to the enemy who murdered both of their families, Audra’s forced to help Vane remember who he is. He has a power to claim—the secret language of the West Wind, which only he can understand. But unlocking his heritage will also unlock the memory Audra needs him to forget. And their greatest danger is not the warriors coming to destroy them—but the forbidden romance that’s grown between them.

First thoughts and a little recap: I loved this book! I hadn't read anything from Shannon Messenger before this (her middle grade book, Keeper of the Lost Cities, came out earlier this year) but I'd been hearing nothing but good things about her first YA book. Sadly, reading the first part of this book, I couldn't see why, and then about fifty pages in, it picked up. Audra is a sylph, basically an elemental that uses wind and is part of the wind. She uses it to travel and speaks its language, but there are four different wind languages. Audra is an Easterly, and her charge, Vane, is a Westerly. The last Westerly to be exact. Vane has some powerful people after him, and so he's had to hide among the humans so that they can't find him. He's had his memories wiped, so he doesn't remember his real parents. All he remembers is a beautiful girl with long loose dark hair, who turns out to be Audra. He's been dreaming about her since he can remember, and then Audra does something stupid. Keeping Vane from bonding with a human girl, she gives away their position, and now Vane's greatest enemy knows exactly where he is.

The romance: The romance was slow at first, and that's what I didn't like about the first part of this book. Audra was really cold and all-business, but you could see how in-love Vane was with her. But he wasn't always following her like a puppy. Whenever she pissed him off, he told her so, and he didn't take any of her crap. I actually enjoyed this dual POV. It seems like every YA book now has a dual POV with the girl and guy, but it was definitely needed here. The story picked up when Audra stopped acting like an ice queen and admitted that she was attracted to Vane. Apparently the Westerlies are the most beautiful and fit of the sylphs... *blushes* Vane is definitely something guys. Being inside his head didn't take away from his hotness like I feel it sometimes does. But Audra doesn't care about herself at all. She's willing to sacrifice her life to the cause that the Gales gave to her: keep Vane alive so that he can help rebuild the society of the sylphs. But Vane isn't going to let her do that. And there are so many reasons why they shouldn't be together. Their budding romance turns so sweet and so heartbreaking.

Final plot points and thoughts: I'm so glad I kept reading this book. At first, I didn't see the charm. I wasn't so sure how much I cared about the sylphs and the different winds, but as soon as the romance between Audra and Vane picked up, I saw the other parts start to come to life. The relationship between Audra and her mother was interesting. Audra's mother is the one that wiped clean Vane's memory, as that's one of her many powers. She doesn't have a good relationship with Audra, and blames Audra for the death of her husband, Audra's father. Needless to say, Audra has a lot of self-loathing, and there's even more to it that I can't tell you. But let's just say that as much as you want to believe the best in people, they seem to find the worst ways to prove you wrong. I feel like not a lot happens in this book. The whole time Audra is just training Vane, trying to get him to remember who he is and how to speak the Westerly language. But somehow I just couldn't put it down. Maybe it's because I hate the desert as much as Vane, maybe it's because I fell in love with these two characters. Either way, I cannot wait to see what happens next!


3 comments:

  1. Great review! It kind of sucks that the romance was a little slow in the beginning, but I'm glad it picked up! I'm really looking forward to this book so I'm delighted to see you give it an epic rating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I'm glad you liked this one because I definitely want to read it and have for months.

    Great review thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is going to be a REALLY good book and I will DEFINITELY read it when it comes out in hardcover because of this review!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.