Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Rebel Heart (Dustlands #2) by Moira Young: review

Goodreads rating: 4.10
Hardcover432 pages
Published October 30th 2012 by Margaret K. McElderry
Series: Dust Lands #2
Source: Bought

Nothing is certain and no one is safe in the second book in the highly praised Dust Lands trilogy, which MTV’s Hollywood Crush blog called “better than The Hunger Games.”

It seemed so simple: Defeat the Tonton, rescue her kidnapped brother, Lugh, and then order would be restored to Saba’s world. Simplicity, however, has proved to be elusive. Now, Saba and her family travel west, headed for a better life and a longed-for reunion with Jack. But the fight for Lugh’s freedom has unleashed a new power in the dust lands, and a formidable new enemy is on the rise.

What is the truth about Jack? And how far will Saba go to get what she wants? In this much-anticipated follow-up to the riveting Blood Red Road, a fierce heroine finds herself at the crossroads of danger and destiny, betrayal and passion.


I'm going to write this review in a cast of characters, because that's what makes this story truly great. It is partially about the dystopian world, but the characters' lives have gotten super complicated in this sequel. I'll start with Saba. She made some Bella-esque decisions (meaning amazingly stupid), but hers have graver consequences. It's so hard to write this review without giving something away, but basically Jack went to go tell an old friend of his that the man she's in love with died. And he has to go alone for some reason. So Saba is with her brother, trying to get to the West where it's supposed to be better. But then she meets some unlikely people and hears some rumors about Jack. So she decides to go after him on her own. Not the best idea. But it gets even worse. Remember how DeMalo, the second to the king, set Saba free? Well, he comes back in this book and it ain't pretty. Turns out, he has a price on Saba's head, but it's to bring her back to him alive and Saba can't understand why. Seth (AKA DeMalo) has big plans for the two of them, and Saba makes a horrible mistake that may inadvertently bind him to her.

As always, I love the language and the writing style in this book. But whenever I read Jack, he seems slightly more refined. We get the first chunk of the book from his POV where he tells Molly (I believe) that the man that she was in love with and the man that promised to come back for her was murdered. But Jack gets into a bit of trouble when he realizes that the Tonton have cleaned up their act, but they're still ruthless. Again, not to ruin anything, but Jack and Saba meet up again because of the Tonton. Their romance wasn't much of one. This book had the sequel syndrome in the sense that the guy was gone for most of the book. That tends to piss me off every time it happens, but it honestly made sense in this book. It needed to leave room for Saba to make the irreparable mistakes that would decide her fate for the third book. But the weird thing is that everyone seems to want Saba, not just Jack. DeMalo wants her, and Tommo wants her now too. That was an interesting twist, especially since Tommo really does want to take care of Saba. I kind of wish Young hadn't made it a love square, but I'm sure Tommo just has a fleeting crush, nothing like Jack or what DeMalo wants.

My main complaint with this book was that Lugh was, excuse my language, a total jackass! He obviously has some demons, but he was taking it out on Saba like it was all her fault. And Saba just let it happen. Saba's scarred by the fact that she had to kill someone who was supposed to be her friend in the last book, and so when she tries to shoot her bow and arrow, she can't do it. Evetually, the pattern breaks, but Lugh is jsut adding to the stress Saba has. On top of that, Saba feels the dead following her. I was waiting for the supernatural element to be introduced in this series, and it was a big part of who Saba became in this book. The only thing that kept Lugh from focusing all of his angry energy on Saba was Maev. She found them after leaving the Hawks for dead (so she has a guilty conscience, even though it wasn't her fault) and Lugh and Maev begin to fall for each other. Saba meets new people on her journey; people who help her understand who she is, and who she can be. I wish I could say everyone made it out of this book alive, but I'd be lying. After that ending (not as cliffhangerish as the first one, but still), I can't wait to see what happens in the next book! I wonder what it'll be called...


1 comment:

  1. whats the models name for the cover of dustlands

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.