Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Finale (Hush, Hush #4) by Becca Fitzpatrick: review

Goodreads rating: 4.32
Hardcover454 pages
Published October 23rd 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Series: Hush, Hush #4
Source: Bought

Will love conquer all?

Nora and Patch thought their troubles were behind them. Hank is gone and they should be able to put his ugly vendetta to rest. But in Hank's absence, Nora has become the unwitting head of the Nephilim and must finish what Hank began. Which ultimately means destroying the fallen angels - destroying Patch.

Nora will never let that happen, so she and Patch make a plan: lead everyone to believe they have broken up, and work the system from the inside. Nora will convince the Nephilim that they are making a mistake in fighting the fallen angels, and Patch will find out everything he can from the opposing side. They will end this war before it can even begin.

But the best-laid plans often go awry. Nora is put through the paces in her new role and finds herself drawn to an addictive power she never anticipated.

As the battle lines are drawn, Nora and Patch must confront the differences that have always been between them and either choose to ignore them or let them destroy the love they have always fought for.

It's really difficult for me to write reviews for books that are the final ones in the series. If you're reading this review, it hopefully means that you've read the other three books before this one (otherwise this will be super spoilery for you), so you already know the full story. I don't really need to try and draw you in. But I will do my best. This series is definitely one of my favorites. I still think the author could have kept it three books like she'd originally planned, but this final books was perfect. Basically, Nora is a Nephilim now. Not only that, but her megalomaniac of a biological was the leader of them, and she and Patch killed him at the end of the third book. Before he died, he made Nora promise to lead the Nephilim; more than that, he made her do a blood oath. If she doesn't lead them into battle against the fallen angels, she will die.Yeah, Pretty heavy. On top of that, the council of Nephilim don't like Nora very much and are just a bit skeptical and they don't think Nora can lead them against the fallen angels. What they don't know is that Nora isn't really planning on doing that, because she knows that the fallen angels are too strong. But she has to fulfill her blood oath to lead them, otherwise she'll die. But certain people have other, much more sinister ideas. Definitely a complicated plot, but it worked really well with the story, and not every one good makes it out of this alive.

One of things I don't like about the ending of most series is that the main guy and girl have been together (AKA kissing) since since before the last book so there's not much romance. Patch still feels amazing to Nora (Patch can't actually feel Nora at all because he's a fallen angel and that's just how it works; luckily that gets pretty much fixed at the end), but he's getting help from his crazy ex-girlfriend who's still in love with him. So Nora's a bit worried about her (and rightfully so). In this final book though the romance kind of took the back seat (except for some pivotal scenes). These two are one of my favorite couples, mostly because Nora isn't some stupid girl and Patch is amazingly sweet and totally hot. That tends to help. The only bad thing between them that's run the entire series is that Patch can't feel it when she touches him or when he touches her. That would be so painful, especially with someone you love like that. But they're a strong YA couple, and I was very sad to see their story end. Although it did end quite nicely. Even Nora's best friend found a guy in the epilogue.

The villain was only a little predictable. But the other "enemies" in this one mad it a great story. Marcy, as always, being the spoiled rich kid. But now her dad's dead (Nora and her have the same dad, but she doesn't know Nora killed him) and so she has some ghosts and decides she needs to live with Nora and her mom. Fun. And then there's Patch's ex who basically throws herself at him any chance she gets. So Nora has a lot on her plate in this one, not that she didn't before. I also love the family elements in this series. While she doesn't have a dad (the one she thought was her real one was murdered and she killed her actual real one), her mom obviously cares a lot about her and her brother, who's used to being used as bait for Nora by the bad guys, is super cute and we got to watch him grow up in this series. This will continue to be one of my favorite series of all time. I'm more than sad to see it go, but I'm glad that the author wrote a believable and still completely perfect ending.


1 comment:

  1. I loved the first 3 books however this one was a little lack luster for me. I feel like everything at the end was rushed and it didn't capture me like the first 3 did. However I do like how she tied up all the loose ends.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.