Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Black City Blog Tour: Interview w/ Elizabeth Richards


I'm so excited to be part of this blog tour! Today I have for you guys an interview with the lovely author of Black City, Elizabeth Richards!


Do you find it harder or easier being a dystopian/fantasy writer?
Easier, mainly because they’re the types of books I love to read, so it’s easy to write something you’re passionate about. Plus, there’s always so much in the news and history that you can draw inspiration from, so I’m constantly coming up with new ideas!

What was the most difficult part about writing Black City?
Working out the logistics of the city was quite tricky. I had to map it all out, to make sure I knew where everyone lived, where the landmarks were, what the names of the streets were etc. It was a lot fun though—I actually enjoy doing maps (I’m doing a map for Phoenix, in fact!), and it really helped.

Do you have any strange writing quirks?
I never write the chapters in chronological order. When I’m laying down my first draft, I’ll skip about the story, writing the scenes that are clear to me, then I’ll fill in the rest. Usually it means I end up trashing a lot of stuff, as things evolve, but I find if I try and write chronologically, I just get stuck and can’t get past the dreaded first 50 pages.

Love triangle or one true love, and why?
Love triangle. I know some people don’t enjoy them, but I love the dynamic of a good ol’ love triangle. Or maybe even a love square. But saying that, the whole idea of ‘one true love’ is explored in Black City, and whether or not people are fated to be together.

If there's one thing you could change about Black City, what would it be?
Oooh. That’s an interesting question. What would I change? You know, I don’t think I’d change anything. Black City is exactly what I wanted it to be, so I wouldn't want to mess around with it.

What are you working on right now?
I’ve just put the finishing touches to Phoenix, and am now working on book #3 in the Black City series.

What's your biggest piece of advice to writers who want to be published authors?
Don’t give up. If this is what you want to do, then keep trying, even if you get rejected. It only takes one ‘Yes’. And don’t try and compare your query journey to other authors. If it’s going to happen, it’ll happen, whether it takes a day, a week, a month or a year.

Favorite novels of 2012 so far (YA or other)?
Gosh, there’s been so many. But if I had to pick favorites, I’d say Cinder by Marissa Meyer (Prince Kai *swoon*), What Happens Next by Colleen Clayton (heartbreaking!), Divergent and Insurgent by Veronica Roth (FOUR! *double swoon*), and all the Breathless Reads books, of course. But I am biased!

Find Elizabeth Richards at these places:






The Books:



Check out the other blogs in this amazing tour:


Week One (1st-2nd)    
1st - Good Choice Reading - Tour Kick-off
1st - Bookish - Review of Black City
2nd - Appraising Pages - Review of Black City
2nd - DforDarla's Definite Reads - Character Highlight
    
Week Two (5-9th)     
5th - ReadingTeen - Character Highlight 
6th - Fantasy Book Addict - Character Interview
7th - The Reading Date - Review of Black City
7th - Shortie Says - Character Highlight
8th - Book Nerd - Book Highlight
8th - Forever 17 Books - Review of Black City
8th - Read-A-Holicz - Review of Black City
8th - Two Chicks on Books - Guest Post
9th - The Mod Podge Bookshelf - Character Highlight
9th - Mostly YA Book Obsessed - Review of Black City
    
Week Three (12th-16th)    
12th - Once Upon A Twilight - Character Highlight
12th - A Trail of Books left Behind - Book Highlight
12th - Bitter Sweet Enchantment - Review of Black City
13th - A Book Lovers Review - Review of Black City
13th - Fantasys Ink - Character Interview
13th- I Am A Reader, Not A Writer - Author Interview
14th - Fade Into Fantasy - Character Highlight
15th - My Life is A Notebook - Character Highlight
15th - A Dream Within A Dream - Review of Black City
16th - Books Over Boys - Character Highlight

    
Week Four (19th-23rd)    
19th - The Book Reaper - Book Highlight
19th - An Avid Readers Musings - Character Interview
20th - The Readers Antidote - Author Interview
21st - No Thoughts 2 Small - Book Highlight
21st - A Book Lovers Review - Character Interview
22nd - Books With Bite - Book Highlight
23rd - Fiction Freak - Character Interview
    
Week Five (26th -30th)    
26th - Ravenous Reader - Guest Post
27th - Young At Heart - Book Highlight
27th - Manga Maniac CafĂ© - Author Interview
28th - Always YA at Heart - Character Highlight
29th - Bookcase to Heaven - Character Interview
29th - The Book Vixen - Book Highlight
30th - Dark Readers - Character Highlight


4 comments:

  1. Awesome interview, can't wait to read the book!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the fist time I've heard of What Happens Next, i'll have to check that one out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the books she listed for favorite YA so far this year! I totally agree.

    Thanks for the chance to win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting to hear that she wouldn't change anything about BC. Usually authors would want to take their pens to the manuscripts.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.