Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Favorite YA Authors


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.

This week is Top Ten Favorite Authors In X Genre, so of course I'm going to pick the YA genre! I may have missed some but some of these authors aren't recognized enough for their awesomeness.

Cassandra Clare, author of The Mortal Instruments & The Infernal Devices


I have loved everything that Clare has ever written. She even inspires my own writing (which reminds me, I need to read The Mortal Instruments again), and so she's a big part of my reading life. I will read anything she writes. And I've met her! I went ober fangirl!

Jeri Smith-Ready, author of the Shade trilogy
This series is one of my all-time favorites, and it hasn't gotten the recognition it's deserved. Besides Cassandra Clare, Jeri has written one of the most crush-worthy boys in YA, Zachary. But she's also a great writer and really brings the story to life. I met Jeri once at the RT convention in LA, but sadly she doesn't come out here.

Veronica Roth, author of the Divergent series

Divergent was the first ARC I had ever gotten, and it was the first dystopian that I adored. Her writing and plots are infectious and I can't wait to read whatever she pumps out next. I've also met Veronica, the first time in Michigan and the second time in Huntington Beach.

Stephanie Perkins, author of Anna and the French Kiss & Lola and the Boy Next Door
I don't really read contemporaries, but when I heard how awesome Anna and the French Kiss was, I had to find out what all the buzz was about. It outshined my expectations and I still like reading it over again. I met Stephanie a couple months ago and she was awesome!

Becca Fitzpatrick, author of the Hush, Hush series
Hush, Hush is one of the first books that really got me back into reading YA. I was in Borders and didn't know what else to read and thought the cover was cool (although the title almost turned me off), so I bought it and it turned out to be a signed copy! I met Becca late last year to get books 2 & 3 signed.


Tahereh Mafi, author of the Shatter Me books
Shatter Me was the first ARC I got from a publisher without having asked for it, so Tahereh already holds a special place on my shelf. Tahereh is one of the nicest, sweetest, and most beautifully lyrical writers I've ever met. She's also hilarious, and we've met in person and talked over Twitter.

Rae Carson, author of the Girl of Fire and Thorns series
I finally met Rae at ALA this past summer, but I fell in love with Girl of Fire and Thorns last year. It's one of the only true fantasies I've read, and there's just something about her writing that always manages to blow me away. Crown of Embers, the second book, was somehow even better. Not enough people have read these books!

Courtney Allison Moulton, author of the Angelfire trilogy
The Angelfire series is one of my absolute favorite series, and it definitely doesn't get enough recognition. I met Courtney in Michigan when I first met Veronica Roth, and she was very sweet to me. She acted like we were friends and I had never had that happen before. Sadly, I read Angelfire after I met her, so I couldn't totally fangirl. You guys should really read her books!

Anna Carey, author of the Eve books
Anna Carey has a way of writing a great strong female character who questions her identity. I think the first book got a lot grief because Eve was very naive and at first wasn't relatable. But she's really grown as a character and I've come to love this series. Anna is also one of the sweetest authors I've met and she's super hilarious. She really connects with younger people. 

Stephanie Meyer, author of the Twilight saga and The Host
This one seems like a given for me. The Twilight books really got me back into reading again, and Stephanie really knows how to get right to the core of human emotions. Although I learned about that more in her "adult" book, The Host. Her writing is truly phenomenal, no matter what people say about Twilight. Stephanie is the only author here that I haven't met.

What are some of your guys' favorite YA authors? Let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. So many of my favorite authors! Cassandra Clare is an automatic buy for me as is Stephanie Perkins after two amazing novels. And Jeri Smith-Ready is just the sweetest, and I love her trilogy.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.