Saturday, October 13, 2012

Poisonous Reads: Books I've Read to Get You in the Halloween Spirit

 

I generally don't like scary books because I get freaked out very easily. But I've read some that, while they've scared the crap out of me, they were also brilliant. So, here are my suggestions for poisonous reads of the Halloween season!

MIDDLE GRADE








I don't know about you guys, but when I was in middle school this stuff freaked me out. The three siblings were always getting into horrible, tortuous situations and that's scary to a child. I'm not sure how they'd be now to me as an adult, but I'd rather remember them as I did when I was a child: nightmarish.








*I've heard Goosebumps by R.L. Stine are also great middle grade books, but I was one of those kids too afraid to read them. So I didn't... I know, I'm disappointed in myself*

ADULT






This is a no-brainer. Poe was a tortured man, so in his writing many people are tortured and he doesn't mind being graphic. But the good, beyond-creepy writings for a "younger" reader are The Tell-Tale Heart, and The Raven. Definitely classic, and completely scary.















I read this book because I'd heard it was phenomenal, and the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio was coming out. I even got my boyfriend to read it. And this was a seriously twisted novel. I would not recommend reading this one at night, I don't care how old you are!








*Obviously Stephen King is another big thriller and horror writer (understatement of the century), I just haven't read any of his stuff*


YOUNG ADULT







Nevermore is one of my favorite books of all time! It has to do with Poe's literary world, but it comes to life in a new and completely horrifying way. This story is rich with the creepy stories of the man of horror, and even makes a sort of guest appearance.












I didn't know what to expect going into these books, but they are really scary and pretty graphic for YA. This is another one where I could not read it before bed because I would huddle under my covers in fear of the ghosties. If you like action-packed ghost stories with a weird romance twist, this is it.







These books honestly scared the begeezus out of me. I don't know why I continued the series. I actually didn't like the first book, but I love post-apocalyptic novels so I decided to continue the series and they got way better. But every time I read them right before going to bed I would lie awake for at least half an hour. Luckily, zombies are pretty loud, so they at least couldn't sneak up on me... Have I mentioned before how much I hate zombies??







Possess, admittedly, is not my favorite creepy YA novel, but it definitely had its moments. Possessions are really scary because there are very few things you can do about them if they do happen. I'm not saying I believe in this stuff exactly, and I don't really worry about getting possessed. But in dreams, anything can happen...









Now this series isn't over yet, but the author has an amazing way of creating all this tension and make up a new and even creepier serial killer than the preceding book. These books are more mystery/thriller, which I like more than gore anyway.





I'll be honest: I haven't read these in a while, but all I really remember is that they're like the Body Finder series in that there's a killer on the loose. But this is at a boarding school and the main character uses "magic" instead of some weird dead-psychic power like Violet. The other thing I remember is that they were really scary!


Have any suggestions for poisonous reads this Halloween? Let me know in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you, Nevermore was a creepy read in parts. I LOVED that story. The Body Finder did have suspense and chills and so did Possess. Great picks Nicole. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Shutter Island (the movie version)! I should check out the novel—which did you like better the book or the movie?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I always love reading the book before seeing the movie. The book is just a little more adult than the movie was, with the sexuality and the language.

      Delete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.