Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Crossed (Matched #2) by Ally Condie: review

Goodreads rating: 3.55
Hardcover, 367 pages
Published November 1st 2011 by Dutton Juvenile
Series: Matched #2
Source: Bought, signed

In search of a future that may not exist and faced with the decision of who to share it with, Cassia journeys to the Outer Provinces in pursuit of Ky — taken by the Society to his certain death — only to find that he has escaped, leaving a series of clues in his wake.

Cassia’s quest leads her to question much of what she holds dear, even as she finds glimmers of a different life across the border. But as Cassia nears resolve and certainty about her future with Ky, an invitation for rebellion, an unexpected betrayal, and a surprise visit from Xander — who may hold the key to the uprising and, still, to Cassia’s heart — change the game once again. Nothing is as expected on the edge of Society, where crosses and double crosses make the path more twisted than ever.


I have to say I'm not sure why this book has a lower rating than the first. I actually ended up enjoying it more because I didn't feel constricted by the Society. And there was a lot more action than the first. Our main character still makes some stupid mistakes, but being in a dystopian world doesn't keep you from being a teenager. I liked it because it was a completely new scenery. We find Cassia basically banished from the inner part of the Society and pushed toward the Outer Provinces where Ky has been sent. But Cassia is still Matched to Xander, so when he comes to visit, he realizes that not everything between them is as black and white as she thought. One thing I will say is that Cassia is extremely selfish. She doesn't seem to care that much about her parents and her little brother. She's away from them because she's working, but they must worry about her. She does these things without thinking how running away (while not hurting their status) is going to make them worry. And even after everything Xander does for her, she still insists on finding Ky.

I wish the romance was hotter. I know it sounds weird, but the few kisses we do get seem chaste. And honestly, I don't even like Ky that much and I was still rooting for them to grow into their relationship more. This series seems to be all about the romance, yet we really aren't getting enough for that to be true. Again, there was not enough Xander. We find out some interesting things about him, but you can't really do a good love triangle if the other guy is barely there. Xander has to be there more in the third book or I will have a hissy fit! Ky and Cassia were a little cold to each other. It's like, after all this searching, they're still awkward with each other. I mean, I get it because teenage romance is the epitome of awkward. But she just went through so much to get Ky, and now they're back to being awkward. I'm hoping the second one has romance, and at this point I don't even care if all the romance is with Ky. As long as Xander is there.

Like I said, I liked this more than the first one. Cassia was so naive in the first one, and in this sequel she's definitely smarter. She's surprisingly resourceful for being under the Society's thumb, which she says is because of what Ky taught her, and her determination to find him. But I think part of it involves what we learned about Xander. There's a lot we still don't know; about the Society, the Rising, who the Pilot is. But one thing is for sure: a storm is brewing and I have no doubt that Cassia, Xander, and Ky will find themselves in the middle of it. There's a lot that needs to happen in the third book, and I can't wait!


1 comment:

  1. Great review! I wasn't a huge fan of the first book only because I'm Team Xander! Ky always seemed so boring to me. So it was hard for me to enjoy Matched because it was all about Ky!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.