Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Book-to-Movie Review: Snow White & the Huntsman


Release date: June 1, 2012 (USA)
Director: Rupert Sanders
DVD release date: September 11, 2012
Rating: PG-13
Music: James Newton Howard
Starring: Kristen Stewart, Chris Hemsworth, Charlize Theron

In a twist to the fairy tale, the Huntsman ordered to take Snow White into the woods to be killed winds up becoming her protector and mentor in a quest to vanquish the Evil Queen. 














If you saw my IMM a couple weeks ago, I bought the DVD of Snow White and the Huntsman. I watched it the night I got it, and loved it as much as I did the first time. For one thing, the story is the inspiration for my blog theme, so of course I'm going to enjoy it. The special effects are beyond awesome and I got grossed out a couple of time because they were so realistic. I've said to many people before that Kristen Stewart is not a bad actress. She can just only play people who have a lot of problems with their lives. Bella from Twilight doesn't have the kind of problems Kristen can work with, and so I thought it would the same with Snow White. But she surprised me with doing a very good job at being Snow White. She wasn't awkward at all and she even had a speech near the end that she executed very well. Maybe she acts better when she's sporting an accent. I know I do!

Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth also did an amazing job. Charlize is always awesome in everything she does, but she was the true embodiment of beautiful evil in this tale. The funny thing, though, is that her part is nothing like in the actual Grimm Brother's tale. In the story, the queen didn't have any magical powers, but was just selfish and vain and happened to know a bit of magic. But I loved this twist on it and it made the queen truly evil. And Chris was nothing like the real Huntsman, but there was something about his character that was hard not to love. It also helps that he's a really good looking version of the Huntsman. That unexpected spark between him and Snow White was very well done, but there was also the old friend who she's also partly in love with. While I don't always enjoy love triangles, I loved it in this movie.

Overall, I loved this even more the second time through. I read the story after seeing it on DVD and was glad to see someone taking so much creative freedom to make the story truly dark. I mean, a lot of the stories the Grimm Brothers wrote are already very dark and dismal, but the writers and directors found a way to make the queen more evil than the stories could have ever imagined.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.