Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Onyx (Lux #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout: review


Goodreads rating: 4.58
Paperback, 366 pages
Published August 14th 2012 by Entangled Teen
Series: Lux #2
Source: Bought

Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…

The Lux series is definitely my guilty pleasure, but that's because it's just so good all around. Armentrout makes her characters so real, even the minor ones. I cared about every one of the characters, and there were moments where their pain felt like mine. I guess the only character I didn't find myself connecting with was Blake, but more about him later. I was sad when Dee started getting more serious with Adam (another alien) and Katy was focused on everything else going on, and they really grew apart. I've had the same thing happen to me on both ends. I mean, you want Dee to be happy, but they both started realized how much time they were spending apart. Like I said, Katy was focused on other things. It's funny how Katy doesn't realize that Daemon isn't in love with her just because he healed her. And he even tries to tell her as much. But then Katy starts developing alien powers, and no one knows why. They're all worried that she might end up exposing the Luxen because she can't control them. And that's when she meets Blake.

Blake was an interesting twist to the romance. He was a sweet guy, but I never really liked him. He got a little brave asking Katy out, and that totally turns me off. But it turns out that Blake is a lot more like Katy than she thought, she's just not sure if he's bad or good. But the best part of the romance was obviously with Daemon. This book has a lot of action, but it also has some of the sweetest romance I've ever read. Somehow, Daemon got even hotter in this sequel. He cares so much about Katy, but he has to deal with the fact that she doesn't think that what they feel for each other is real, and the issue of being an alien in love with a human. He saw what it did to his brother, but it's obvious he's willing to risk it for Katy. The biggest problem of Daemon and Katy not being together was Katy. She's rightfully suspicious of her connection with Daemon since she's now gaining alien mojo from it, but she's just using it as an excuse for how he makes her feel. I just love the interaction between these two!

There's more that was added to the story. Katy and her mom can never really leave the mountains, or else the bad aliens will be all over them. I feel like we got to know Katy's mom a little more too. She starts dating this doctor, and at first I thought nothing of him. I mean, I was suspicious at first, but nothing seemed to be happening. But about three-fourth's through the book, my suspicions returned. This really was a book where no one is as they seems. And, sadly, no one is going to survive this one. But there's even more. Katy and Daemon find out that two people they thought were dead might be alive. I know, it's getting juicy! I loved this book! At first, I was getting a little bored of Katy always shying away from Daemon and making excuses. And then Blake comes along, and Katy uses him to keep her mind of Daemon. But Blake has an ulterior motive that Katy is not expecting. With that ending, I can't wait to see what happens next! December needs to come now!!!


1 comment:

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.