Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Entice (The Violet Eden Chapters #2) by Jessica Shirvington: review

Goodreads rating: 4.32

Hardcover, 464 pages
Expected publication: September 4th 2012 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published March 29th 2011)


Violet Eden is Grigori - part angel, part human. Her destiny is to protect humans from the vengence of exiled angels. 

Knowing who to trust is key but, when Grigori reinforcements arrive, it becomes clear everyone is hiding something. Even Lincoln. The only thing Violet does know: Phoenix's hold over her is more dangerous than ever. 

The race to find the one thing that could tilt the balance of power brings them all to the sacred mountains of Jordan, where Violet's power will be pushed to the extreme. And the ultimate betrayal exposed. 

Enticed is the second compelling book in The Violet Eden Chapters.

Entice was a lot different from Embrace in the sense of the plot because there's actually a purpose besides Violet embracing, but there was not much difference in the romance department. They just kind of switched people. In this one, the gang is searching for these scriptures that involve all angelkind. Which was interesting, but I wish the author would have had the insight to allude to them in the first book. It's called foreshadowing. I know, it's complicated when you don't involve the romance. But there were things that I felt made this one more real than Embrace. The absent, clueless is one of those things, but it kept Violet from having any male figure that had always been there to her make decisions. Not that it really helped her before. It also doesn't help that Linc is sneaking off. Zoe, another part-angel, was a welcome dose of attitude, and I'm glad Steph, Violet's best friend, found someone. Even if he is Grigori like the rest of them and Steph is human. I also liked Spence. He created some drama and was so nonchalant about everything and just did what he wanted when he got the chance. I hope there's nothing there in another love triangle kind of thing, but he was a good friend to Violet when Lincoln was off galavanting. The fact that Spence had no partner and so couldn't technically go on hunts really put things into perspective.

Violet was pretty much over Phoenix at first after what happened at the end of book one because he's MIA. So I assumed Lincoln and Violet would be trying to make it work, but Linc is spending all his time running errands with Magda and never telling Violet anything. Such a typical thing for a sequel, and something that has always annoyed me. And then Phoenix finds a way to mess things up again. Phoenix's volatile connection with Violet is much worse than everyone thought. They find out the hard way that it could be deadly if he wished it to be. As I said before, they're searching for the scriptures, but it's such an afterthought compared to the romance drama that I felt like I didn't get enough information about them. But I guess that's what books 3 & 4 are for. But Rudyard and Nyla, more Grigori, give Violet and Lincoln hope for being together even though they're partners, just as long as they're true soulmates. But one thing is for sure, there was definitely a traitor among them. And it was the most obvious choice.

Now that I'm thinking about it, besides the fact that we didn't get to see a lot of Lincoln, this sequel was better than the first. Violet definitely wasn't as stupid, and the things that would have gone wrong in the first one didn't go wrong in this one. That might have been because Spence was with her a lot, but she was trying to figure out what was happening with Lincoln, and it turns out that he's been hiding something about his past and Magda is helping him get revenge. Magda was as obnoxious and rude as usual, and more self-satisfied that she was getting to spend all this time with Lincoln and Violet wasn't. But she has a secret too. All in all, a predictable but enjoyable series. I'm excited to see where this series will take us next.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.