Saturday, September 22, 2012

Enshadowed (Nevermore #2) by Kelly Creagh: review


Goodreads rating: 4.20
Hardcover, 429 pages
Published August 28th 2012 by Atheneum Books
Series: Nevermore #2
Source: Bought

True love takes a twisted turn in the second book of this modern gothic romance trilogy channeling the dark brilliance of Edgar Allan Poe.

While Varen remains a prisoner in a perilous dream world where the terrifying stories of Edgar Allan Poe come to life, Isobel travels to Baltimore to confront the dark figure known throughout the world as the Poe Toaster. This man, the same man who once appeared to Isobel in her dreams and abandoned her in Varen’s nightmare world, holds the key to saving Varen.

     But when Isobel discovers a way to return to this dream world, she finds herself swept up in a realm that not only holds remnants of Edgar Allan Poe’s presence, but has also now taken on the characteristics of Varen’s innermost self. It is a dark world of fear, terror, and anger.

     When Isobel once more encounters Varen, she finds him changed. And now Isobel must face a new adversary—one who also happens to be her greatest love.

I wanted so badly to love this book, but I couldn't. This was like the epitome of a middle-of-the-story filler book, which makes me mad because of how long I've waited for this sequel. I feel like all that time waiting was wasted for a book that was mediocre compared to the first. But I can't deny how beautiful Creagh's writing is and how intricate this world she's created is. I still don't understand a lot about it and so it continues to have that air of mystery. The book starts off with Isobel being extremely depressed. Waiting for January 19th, when she plans on confronting Reynolds at Poe's grave and getting back into Varen's world, she's plagued with nightmares of Varen that always seem so real. She also starts getting visits from Pinfeathers. She's freaking out her parents by being so depressed, and the only person who knows what's going on (Gwen), isn't seeing what Isobel is seeing. No one can see what Isobel sees, but Gwen sticks with her. While Gwen has always annoyed me, she did what needed to be done to help Isobel. Because Reynolds truly is a force to reckon with, and Isobel has no idea what she's getting herself into. She's definitely not in control.

Varen continues to believe that Isobel is completely cut off from him. And she should be. She destroyed his diary, which was the bridge that held Poe's world and the real world together. But when she dreams of Varen, it really is him. Except for the one time it was Pinfeathers. I still don't get Pinfeathers, but I figure he must have some part of Varen's soul in him, because he's so much like Varen, and he can reach Isobel like Varen can't. Yet Varen doesn't know what Pinfeathers knows. It's all very confusing. Isobel aches for Varen the entire book. She's desperate to get him back, but I guess I just don't understand why she's so in love with him. It's also that she feels like she needs to keep her promise to him and get him out of Poe's world. But her depression over losing him consumes everything in her life, and it scared even me. I want her to be with Varen as much as the next person, but she is obsessed with him. I fell in love with Varen in the first book and he's worth saving without a doubt. I just wish I understood Isobel a little more.

Isobel was completely single-minded and selfish. I really thought she had changed from Nevermore, but she didn't. This time, her focus was getting to Varen instead of reestablishing her social status. Isobel also completely underestimates how strong Reynolds and the world of Poe is. Reynolds might have more powers than anyone in either world, but he doesn't make his own rules. Lilith does that, although we learn that he has rebelled against her before when it came to Poe. It's too bad that Varen wasn't as lucky as Poe. Lilith has her claws so deep into Varen that when finally sees Isobel, he's certain she isn't real. She's poisoned him and Varen makes a grave mistake that really sets the whole getting-Varen-out thing extremely difficult. Now, I really have no idea what's going to happen in the last book. I mean, it's obvious that Isobel will eventually find a way to get Varen out of Poe's world, but how damaged they'll be when that happens is a mystery. I just wish this one would been more interesting, but Creagh's writing saved it for me.


2 comments:

  1. I didn't read this series (yet), but I noticed that most of readers were disappointed with second book. I'm affraid to read it, but I will - I love Poe and his poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no. i only read the first couple of sentences of the review so as to not spoil myself and i am sad that you did not like it. i hate middle filler books. that's why sometimes cannot stand trilogies. well i am going to read nevermore at least and we'll see if i like it.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.