Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters #1) by Jessica Shirvington: review

Goodreads rating: 4.02
HardcoverUS 369 pages
Published March 6th 2012 by Sourcebooks Fire (first published October 1st 2010)
URL: http://www.embracethebook.com/
Series: The Violet Eden Chapters #1
Source: Bought

It starts with a whisper: "It's time for you to know who you are..."

On her 17th birthday, everything will change for Violet Eden. The boy she loves will betray her. Her enemy will save her. She will have to decide just how much she's willing to sacrifice. 

Dangerously exciting and darkly romantic, EMBRACE is a compelling novel of good and evil, seductive desires and impossible choices. A centuries old war between fallen angels and the protectors of humanity chooses a new fighter. It's a battle Violet doesn't want, but she lives her life by two rules: don't run and don't quit. If angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden. 

LINCOLN: He's been Violet's one anchor, her running partner and kickboxing trainer. Only he never told her he's Grigori--part human, part angel--and that he was training her for an ancient battle between Angels and Exiles. 

PHOENIX: No one knows where his loyalties lie, yet he's the only one there to pick up the pieces and protect her after Lincoln's lies. In a world of dark and light, he is all shades of gray. 

Two sides: Angel or Exile.
Two guys: Lincoln or Phoenix.
The wrong choice could cost not only her life, but her eternity... 

This book was like a semi-guilty pleasure kind of deal: there were some sexy YA scenes, but the writing was average and I didn't like where the plot went. I actually rolled my eyes a couple of times at Violet's horrible decisions and reactions. The angel mythology isn't that different from other books, so already I'm confined myself to reading another angel book. There are good angels and bad angels called Exiles, although there's of course a thin line between good and bad. Violet finds out in the worst way (overhearing it from Lincoln, her best friend and someone she trusts), and she's told that she has to embrace her part angelness to completely develop as a half-angel. If she doesn't, she'll be like a beacon for Exiles, and Exiles aren't exactly fond of Violet's kind. But she doesn't want to embrace, and for more than one reason. Lincoln is her angelic partner, and you can never be with your partner intimately if you embrace. But then something happens to Lincoln where she has no choice but to embrace, and once she goes on this journey, there are a lot of things there that she will never forget and will come back to haunt her.

Ugh love triangle. I'm so done with them. Seriously. And I never once trusted Phoenix and I hated Violet for it. See, it's hard to like a book when the main character is so amazingly stupid and the guy she's meant for isn't trying to fight for her at all. Lincoln is my man. I didn't expect Violet's inability to be with Lincoln make her go so far with Phoenix. I think the author took it too far there, even though I get that they had to make an unbreakable connection. She obviously loves everything about Lincoln, yet she does things with Phoenix that she shouldn't be doing. But more than that, Phoenix is obviously not who he seems, and there's a big reason why Violet can't sense him like she can with the other Exiles. She receives all the angelic senses when an Exile is near, which is very rare. But back to her stupidity. Violet was blinded by the fact that she couldn't be with Lincoln like she wanted to and let that make her decisions for her. You can tell there's something not right with Phoenix, but Violet somehow chooses to ignore it.

I wish I could say that I loved this book, because I really wanted to. But there were just too many things that ticked me off as a reader. The mythology wasn't unique and Violet was extremely stupid. Like Bella stupid, but at least Bella's consequences didn't screw her over as much as Violet's did. But I said this was a guilty pleasure because of some deliciously-written scenes (which Shirvington is quite good at) and a believable romance starting to bloom for Lincoln and Violet. I'm hoping the next book will have more romance in it, but I see a lot more heartbreak than romance coming up in the second installment. Embrace is a fun read that really sets you up for an epic four-book series.


1 comment:

  1. This was one of the best Angel books I have ever read....extremely hypnotizing. I couldn't set it down. The beginning was a little slow but soon after it was so amazing. Lots of drama...trouble with boys...good and evil or in the book as they say light and dark. Surprises at ever turn amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.