Sunday, September 2, 2012

August Wrap-Up


This month was great! I went to go visit my grandma in Michigan and had a blast. I also did a read-a-thon, called the ALA Summer Read-A-Thon, with a couple of my blogging friends and read some completely amazing books.

I went to college orientation and therefore got an earlier time for class registration, which was very helpful. I'm taking 19th century lit, detective fiction, and an American history class (mandatory in all California universities). And I FINALLY got my housing information, and it turns out I have a room all to myself in an apartment with only one other person! I appreciate my privacy, and I think it'll make blogging easier too because then I won't be as distracted. Sadly, there's some stuff I have to return, like the mini-fridge since I'll have my own kitchen. And my bed's slightly bigger, so I have to take my sheets back. I know, I'm complaining about a better situation, but if it was easy shopping for this stuff, I wouldn't have any problems. But I'm getting very excited for college. I'll talk about how that'll affect my blogging in a later post, closer to when I start.


REVIEWED













READ

Prodigy (Legend #2) by Marie Lu

Crewel (Crewel World #1) by Gennifer Albin

A Fractured Light (A Beautiful Dark #2) by Jocelyn Davies

Girl of Nightmares (Anna #2) by Kendare Blake

Embrace (The Violet Eden Chapters #1) by Jessica Shirvington

Entice (The Violet Eden Chapters #2) by Jessica Shirvington

Again, I'm amazingly proud of myself with the reviews I've pumped out this month. I read so many books during the read-a-thon (nearly 7 in a six-day period), and I'm just lucky I wrote notes for all of them. My review for Prodigy won't be up for a while though.









Marta Acosta, Kendare Blake, and Lisa Desrochers at Mrs. Nelson's Toy and Book Shop



PUBLICATION DATE: September 18th, 2012

In the sequel to the acclaimed The Girl of Fire and Thorns, a seventeen-year-old princess turned war queen faces sorcery, adventure, untold power, and romance as she fulfills her epic destiny.

Elisa is the hero of her country. She led her people to victory against a terrifying enemy, and now she is their queen. But she is only seventeen years old. Her rivals may have simply retreated, choosing stealth over battle. And no one within her court trusts her-except Hector, the commander of the royal guard, and her companions. As the country begins to crumble beneath her and her enemies emerge from the shadows, Elisa will take another journey. With a one-eyed warrior, a loyal friend, an enemy defector, and the man she is falling in love with, Elisa crosses the ocean in search of the perilous, uncharted, and mythical source of the Godstone's power. That is not all she finds. A breathtaking, romantic, and dangerous second volume in the Fire and Thorns trilogy.


PUBLICATION DATE: August 28th, 2012

Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city’s brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses, host dinner parties, and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father’s apprentice, Logan—the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same boy who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but fierce belief in her father’s survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.

At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city’s top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor’s impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can’t be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.



PUBLICATION DATE: August 7th, 2012

It's been months since the ghost of Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell in her basement and disappeared into it, but ghost-hunter Cas Lowood can't move on. 

His friends remind him that Anna sacrificed herself so that Cas could live—not walk around half dead. He knows they're right, but in Cas's eyes, no living girl he meets can compare to the dead girl he fell in love with.

Now he's seeing Anna everywhere: sometimes when he's asleep and sometimes in waking nightmares. But something is very wrong...these aren't just daydreams. Anna seems tortured, torn apart in new and ever more gruesome ways every time she appears.

Cas doesn't know what happened to Anna when she disappeared into Hell, but he knows she doesn't deserve whatever is happening to her now. Anna saved Cas more than once, and it's time for him to return the favor.

How was your guys' August? Let me know in the comments!

1 comment:

  1. having your own room is going to be awesome. so i having a kitchen. i hated having no kitchen the one year i was in the dorm. good luck with the new school year. hopefully you will still be able to make it to some book events so we can still see you.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.