Monday, August 6, 2012

Until I Die (Revenants #2) by Amy Plum: review

Goodreads rating: 4.26
Hardcover, 357 pages
Published May 8th 2012 by HarperCollins Publishers
Series: Revenants #2
Source: Bought
Kate and Vincent have overcome the odds and at last they are together in Paris, the city of lights and love.

As their romance deepens there’s one question they can’t ignore: How are they supposed to be together if Vincent can’t resist sacrificing himself to save others? Although Vincent promises that he’ll do whatever it takes to lead a normal life with Kate, will that mean letting innocent people die? When a new and surprising enemy reveals itself, Kate realizes that even more may be at stake—and that Vincent’s immortality is in jeopardy.

In Die for Me, Amy Plum created a captivating paranormal mythology with immortal revenants and a lush Paris setting. Until I Die is poised to thrill readers with more heart-pounding suspense, spellbinding romance, and a cliff-hanger ending that will leave them desperate for the third and final novel in the series.


This is a really great series. I loved the first one, although I didn't understand why Kate and Vincent were moving so fast. But I'm really glad that Plum brought up the point of how they were going to be together when he could basically live forever and Kate didn't like watching him die over and over. And then there's the question of his being some sort of super undead that could rule all the others. Kate makes some stupid mistakes (mostly when she's researching how she and Vincent could stay together, and all the while keeping it from him), but so does Vincent. That was really frustrating. I was really interested in the historical things that Kate found about the Revenants and I wonder how much truth there was to them and how much the author spun the stories to fit her book (as all authors tend to do). But I wasn't sure how the intrigue would be in this book since we already knew what Vincent and his "family" were. But apparently there's a lot more that we don't know about the Revenants.


I'm going to be honest, I read this a while ago and I don't remember everything I was going to say. But I'll try my best. The romance was tense, mostly because of how much they were keeping from each other. But they were both searching for the same thing, so I can't understand why they couldn't just tell each what was going on. But when things were good, they had some pretty YA-sexy moments, and got close to IT. Sometimes when I read YA, I have to remind myself how shy I was when I was this age (I was even more shy than most girls in these books), and so they're going to be even more unsure about anything that's remotely sexual. But I can't wait to see what happens to Kate and Vincent in the final book of this series. I'm not in love with Vincent, but I know him and Kate are meant to be together. Another thing that I loved about this book is that I understood the French parts, since I've taken up to French 3 last semester. It made me feel special.


Until I Die was almost as good as the first one, and I don't say that a lot about sequels. I'm really invested in this story now and I hope that the last one is going to be epic. If you haven't started this series, start it now! And the sad thing is, I remember writing that it had a totally unfair cliffhanger, but for the life of me I can't... OH WAIT! I got it! ...... Never mind. Can't wait for the next one!!!



3 comments:

  1. I didn't like UNTIL I DIE as much as I liked DIE FOR ME, but I still enjoyed it quite a bit and especially after that ending I can't wait for the third book. I'm glad you liked it, too - lovely review!

    Carina
    Fictional Distraction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to be honest here, I didn't read your review. Not yet anyway! Because I haven't read this book yet and I don't want to risk anything being given away. I LOVED the first book. A LOT. And when I saw Until I Die I just wanted to come by and say how much I loved the first book and how much I want to read this book and I'm glad you're reading them. From what I skimmed through I gathered that you enjoyed the book; I'm glad! Amy Plum is awesome in my opinion :) Thanks for the review which I intend to read once I'm done with the book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the worst feeling getting to the end of a book and feeling as though you have wasted your time. Especially for us, when we have so much to read. I doubt I'll pick this up as I wasn't a huge fan of the first book. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.