Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Goddess Legacy (The Goddess Test #2.5) by Aimee Carter: review

Goodreads rating: 4.20
e-ARC, 395 pages
Published July 31st 2012 by Harlequin Teen

For millennia we've caught only glimpses of the lives and loves of the gods and goddesses on Olympus. Now Aimée Carter pulls back the curtain on how they became the powerful, petty, loving and dangerous immortals that Kate Winters knows
 Calliope/Hera represented constancy and yet had a husband who never matched her faithfulness….

Ava/Aphrodite was the goddess of love and yet commitment was a totally different deal….

Persephone was urged to marry one man, yet longed for another….

James/Hermes loved to make trouble for others; but never knew true loss before….

Henry/Hades's solitary existence had grown too wearisome to continue. But meeting Kate Winters gave him a new hope….

This series is so unbelievably heartbreaking, and these back stories about the gods are no different. It was like a train wreck: I could see everything crumbling as I was reading it, but I just couldn't look away. The first story is about Hera. Hera, apparently is the goddess of marriage, which means that she blesses marriages. Hera was headstrong and very much for woman's rights in the counsel, and Zeus promised that if they got married, he would be completely faithful to her and he would get to rule with him on the counsel. As if it wasn't obvious, he broke both of those promises. But Hera, being the goddess of marriage, never divorced him and resigned herself to a loveless, powerless marriage. You think that's bad? She never really loved Zeus. She loved Hades, but he didn't want to torture her by keeping her with him in the Underworld. And I think he wouldn't admit that he didn't feel about her that way. This presents some issues in later stories.

Aphrodite's story was interesting. Ares and Hephaestus both loved Aphrodite, but being the goddess of love, she apparently can't be with one person. Ares is of course ridiculously hot, but also hotheaded and extremely jealous. Zeus won't let them marry because Hephaestus has been deemed a better match. So Aphrodite and Ares run away and have a child together. But then Ares has to leave for war and he doesn't come back to see most of the child's life. Then an injured man washes up on shore and everything changes. While I don't agree with Aphrodite being with more than one person and she's very obsessive and really annoyed me in the other stories, I enjoyed this story.

Can I just say, Hermes gets around. Seriously. He's in the third story with Persephone. We all know that Persephone (Demeter's daughter) never wanted to marry Hades (even though he's the sweetest guy ever) and struck the deal with him to live six months below with him and six months above.This took a lot of pain and suffering from both parties, but I never once felt bad for Persephone. She spent all of her time with Hermes, doing many of the things with him that for some reason she wouldn't do with Hades. She was selfish, and despite the fact that she liked to tell herself that she was trying to make it work, she really wasn't. I could understand if Henry was a bad guy, but he's not. And Persephone only ever thought about what was hurting her. She eventually falls in love with the man we find her with in the second book and sacrifices everything for him, but she never cared what it would do to him. I seriously have a new hate for Persephone.

I did like the story of how Hermes was feeling left out of the counsel ever since the Persephone incident. So he went down to Earth to find out that people had stopped believing in the gods. And he fell in love with a feisty human girl and ended up trying to get her out of trouble. There was one minor goddess, whose name I forget, who helped him. Hermes' heart was broken, but he finally found a family, and a place where he belonged. He never got that with his real family. I know Hermes is good at heart, but, really, this guy gets around, but in a sweet way that's hard to be mad at. Amazingly, he's always trying to do the right thing.

The final story was about Hades, and it was the only one where it wasn't from a first-person POV. Hades wanted to fade away after Persephone left him, but the counsel wouldn't let him. Some of the minor gods that weren't needed anymore were fading away. But they needed him, and so they made a deal that he would wait one hundred years, and in that time they would find a wife/companion for him. But, as we know from reading the first book, the girls were always killed by someone before they could be married. But just as he's about to give up (they all are), Demeter offers to have another child: Kate. And the story comes back to the beginning. These stories just made me love Hades more.

I can't wait to see what happens in the third book! I really feel like I need to read the second one again to remind who betrayed Kate this time around.


2 comments:

  1. I just finished The Goddess Hunt, and I have both Goddess Interrupted and The Goddess Leagacy, so I'm very excited to read both :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I'm glad you liked it. I myself have not read this series but I did order the first book because the series sounds amazing :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.