Saturday, August 4, 2012

Once Weekend Day One: Anna Carey's Favorite Things


Today I have the amazing and lovely Anna Carey here on the blog talking about her 5 favorite things. Not only are Anna's books amazing, but she is one of the sweetest people I know! If you have the chance to meet her, you definitely should.

Anna Carey’s Favorites

[From Anna]

I just finished Rise, the third and final book in The Eve Trilogy. The greatest thing about ending one series and starting another is the time you have to relax, reflect, and take in all the culture you’ve missed while you’ve been writing away. Here are a few of my favorite books, movies, and music. Some are old favorites, others I’ve just discovered. All of them have served to inspire.

Books
I can’t get enough survival stories. I’m a recovering I Shouldn’t be Alive addict, and as a teen I devoured books like Hatchet and Lord of the Flies. My more recent favorites are Life of Pi and Wild. There are so many rich, vivid descriptions in Life of Pi—the book has stuck with me in the seven or so years since I read it. I’m halfway through Wild, about a young woman hiking the Pacific Crest trail, and really enjoying it. She leaves for the trail after the death of her mother. Those passages describing her loss, and how her marriage came undone afterwards, are some of the most moving I’ve read.

Movies
I recently went to see The Hunger Games and The Avengers. I loved every minute of The Hunger Games. I was literally giddy watching all the added scenes with the Gamemakers creating the show. It was one of those rare instances where I enjoyed the movie as much as I did the book (in different ways, but still). The Avengers was another fun one…did anyone else tear up towards the end? Tony Stark! Noooooo!

TV show
I’m obsessed with Mad Men. It’s rare to have a main character so impossible to predict. What will Don Draper do next? We’re never quite sure. I was also a huge Alias fan—no one does cliffhangers better. If you wanted to be Sydney Bristow too, you may want to check out Kyle XY. The show ran a few years ago for just three seasons—but those seasons (especially the first one) are fantastic. It has Alias-like mystery, adventure, and cliffhangers, but it follows kids in high school.

Song
I’ve been listening to Walking on a Dream by Empire of the Sun for a few years now, and it still hasn’t gotten old. I can always count on it to rev me up (and provide the perfect soundtrack for car dancing). Sia’s Breathe Me is awesome for those more angsty moments. It’s the modern “Everybody Hurts”.

Album
Lately The Big Black and Blue and The Lion’s Roar by First Aid Kit are always on. To put it simply, I just love their sound. The Swedish folk band consists of two sisters. They have the clearest, sweetest voices. I could listen to them all day long (and sometimes do).

What are your recent favorites? Is there anything I MUST check out before I disappear again into the ol’ writing cave?


Awesome answers!! Want to know more about Anna? Check back tomorrow where I'll repost my own interview with her and be hosting a GIVEAWAY! The only requirement for the giveaway is for you to comment here with your 5 favorite things, so you can either do that now and enter the contest tomorrow, or you can wait until the Rafflecoptor.

So, what are your five favorite things? Let me know in the comments!

25 comments:

  1. My favorites are...
    Book: Coveted by Shawntelle Madison
    Movie: Fright Night (remake, though the original rocks)
    TV Show: Sherlock and Doctor Who (tie)
    Song: You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive
    Album: All We Know Is Falling - Paramore

    Good choices for Anna's favorite movies. The great part of The Hunger Games was that fact that we got to see the gamemakers part of it, but anyone who didn't read the book missed a ton of the stuff that happened. And I hated that they changed the story of how she got her pin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...my favorites are:
    Book: Insurgent by Veronica Roth
    Movie: The Avengers
    TV Show: Once Upon a Time
    Song: Just a Kiss - Lady A.
    Album: Own the Night - Lady A.

    :D Thank you! And nice choices Anna. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Book: The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
    Movie: The Lord of the Rings
    TV Show: Castle
    Song: Canon in D by Pachabel
    Album: Love and Theft World Wide Open

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite book: Legend by Marie Lu
    Movie: How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
    TV Show: Used to be Roswell but since it is not on the air anymore, I would say Once Upon a Time and Covert Affairs
    Song: Goodbye in Her Eyes - Zac Brown
    Album: Uncaged - Zac Brown

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 5 favorite things? Thats hard...

    I have too many favorite books to name just one..
    I love the movie The Notebook...
    I think The Big Bang Theory is super funny...
    I love about 101 songs right now...
    I love the Rock of Ages album right now=)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Favorite book: mmmm, Beauty: A retelling :D
    Movie: Phantom of the Opera
    TV Show: BONES
    Song: Currently, Lights by Ellie Goulding
    Album: Celine Dion: Falling into you :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm... this is difficult...
    I guess my favorite book right now is The Alchemy of Forever
    Favorite Movie... Batman The Dark Knight
    Favorite TV Show: Fringe
    Favorite Song: Stereolove
    Any of FUN.'s Albums. I can't choose!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My faves change all the time... but I'll give this a try. LOL!
    Book: Sphere by Michael Crichton (NOT the movie!) And Twilight by Stephanie Meyer (Also.. NOT the movie)
    Movie: The Gladiator
    TV Show: Gilmore Girls
    Song: I Don't Think I Will - James Bonamy
    Album: I like to many songs to have one favorite album.LOL! I like my mix cds best. Although they're all on my mp3 player now..so shuffle is my friend. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite change all the time, but these are my favorites at the moment!

    Book: Unspoken by Sarah Rees Brennan
    Movie: Zoolander
    TV Show: Criminal Minds
    Song: Miami-Will Smith (Thats my jam!)
    Album: Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never can choose just one favorite!

    Book: Tithe by Holly Black
    Movie: The Boondock Saints
    TV Show: The Vampire Diaries
    Song: Falling by The Civil Wars
    Album- 21 by Adele

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always so hard to choose favorites!

    Book: A Summer to Die by Lois Lowry or The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (I can't choose between the two)

    Movie: Maria Full of Grace

    TV Show: Criminal Minds or Pretty Little Liars (Once again, I can't choose between the two)

    Song: Within Me by Lacuna Coil (For now, anyways)

    Album: The Hollow by Memphis May Fire

    ReplyDelete
  12. Book: The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
    Movie: Remember the Titans
    TV Show: Supernatural
    Song: Oh, this is hard. I don't really have a favorite song, but probably anything by One Direction. (I'm a bit of a fangirl.)
    Album: I love the Newsies movie soundtrack. Really nerdy, but true.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Book: Gah, I have to actually pick? Well, ok...um, I love Under the Never Sky, The Hunger Games, The Forsaken, and the Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight. =)

    Movie: The Young Victoria.

    TV Show: I like both Dance Academy (an Australian TV show) and Jane By Design.

    Song: Call Me Maybe (I know, I know, but my brother, yes, my brother, bought it for his iPod and it's been playing in my house non-stop ever since.

    Album: Both of Jamie Grace's albums or any of Skillet's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never found anyone who watches Dance Academy before! My friends all look at me like I'm crazy when I mention it.

      Delete
  14. Book: The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf
    Movie: Inception
    TV Show: Pretty Little Liars and Awkward.
    Song: White Doves by Young Empires
    Album: A Twist in My Story by Secondhand Serenade. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Book: The Hunger Games Series
    Movie: Legends of the Fall
    Tv show: Vampire Diaries
    Song: anything by The Civil Wars
    Album: too difficult to pick:p I love music!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My favorites are:
    Book: Vampire Academy series
    Movie: Man on Fire
    TV Show: Vampire Diaries
    Song: Audioslave- Like a Stone
    Album: reckless and relentless (asking alexandria)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Book: The Hunger Games
    Movie: Lord of the Rings - I can watch it over and over!
    Tv show: Drop Dead Diva
    Song: not really into music
    Album: not really into music

    ReplyDelete
  18. Book: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
    Movie: Titanic, Lion King, and Up
    TV Show: Glee
    Song: We Will Never Get Back Together by Taylor Swift
    Album: N/A

    ReplyDelete
  19. Book: the wolves of mercy falls
    Movie: titanic
    Tv show: adventure time
    Song: over and over by three days grace

    ReplyDelete
  20. Book: Twilight!
    Movie: Breaking Dawn!
    Tv Show: Pretty Little Lairs and Teen Wolf
    Song: We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together Taylor Swift
    Album: Speak Now
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Favourite Book: Divergent
    Favourite Movie: Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho
    Favourite TV Show: Saving Hope and 22 Minutes
    Song: So Cold (Breaking Benjamin)
    Album: Sci-Fi Crimes (Chevelle)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Book: The Book Thief
    Movie: Any Disney movie!
    TV Show: At the moment it would be Big Brother lol
    Song: I don't have one!
    Album: Don't have one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Book: The *Sweet Valley High* book series (created by Francine Pascal, but written by Kate William, and a few others)
    Movie: Field of Dreams AND Mr. Holland's Opus
    TV Show: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
    Song: *Here, There, and Everywhere* by The Beatles
    Album: I love so many that I cannot choose just one.

    ReplyDelete
  24. My Favorites:

    Books- Wow. It's really hard to choose just one favorite book, so I'll name a few that I really, really loved. Delirium by Lauren Oliver can be summed up in one word..... ahhh-mazing! The Vampire Academy series holds a very special place in my heart, and so does Dimitri! The Lux series gives me hot flashes (in a good way). The Hunger Games, of course! Divergent by Veronica Roth was just pure awesomeness! And adult-wise, nothing is better than the Night Huntress series by Jeaniene Frost! ♥

    Movies- Right next to books, movies are my absolute favorite thing in the whole wide world. Which means that it's impossible to pick just one favorite. I have very eclectic tastes. I absolutely love Disney movies, Harry Potter, Sherlock Holmes, Iron Man, Spider-Man, The Vow, The Notebook, Shutter Island, The Hunger Games, this list could go on and on and on.....

    TV show- The Vampire Diaries, hands down. No competition. I, of course, do have other shows I like, (Castle, Being Human, Smash, Rookie Blue) but TVD is my top favorite. :))

    Song- OMG! I have a problem. And it's that I have a new favorite song every week. I love One More Night by Maroon 5, Hotel California by The Eagles, Want U Back by Cher Lloyd, Sweeter by Gavin DeGraw, It Will Rain by Bruno Mars, Imagine by John Lennon, Island in the Sun by Weezer, Little Bird by Annie Lennox, Teeth by Lady Gaga, Some Nights by Fun. I better stop while I'm ahead.

    Album- It's weird, but I acutally don't have a favorite album. I guess it's because in this day and time when we like a song we just buy that one song and don't really bother getting a whole albulm. :3 But if I had to choose, I guess David Cook's first album is the only one where I acutally like (and know) all the songs.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.