Sunday, August 26, 2012

Hidden (Firelight #3) by Sophie Jordan: review

Goodreads rating: 4.42
ARC, 272 pages
Expected publication: September 11th 2012 by HarperTEEN
Series: Firelight #3

Jacinda was supposed to bond with Cassian, the "prince" of their pride. But she resisted long before she fell in love with Will—a human and, worse, a hunter. When she ran away with Will, it ended in disaster, with Cassian's sister, Miram, captured. Weighed down by guilt, Jacinda knows she must rescue her to set things right. Yet to do so she will have to venture deep into the heart of enemy territory.

The only way Jacinda can reach Miram is by posing as a prisoner herself, though once she assumes that disguise, things quickly spiral out of her control. As she learns more about her captors, she realizes that even if Will and Cassian can carry out their part of the plan, there's no guarantee they'll all make it out alive. But what Jacinda never could have foreseen is that escaping would be only the beginning....

Loyalties are tested and sacrifices made in the explosive conclusion to Sophie Jordan's Firelight trilogy.

I've always been in love with this series, so I was sad to see it end. But it was a perfect ending, in that it was imperfect in some things. As a recap for the last couple books, here are the few things that matter: Jacinda and Will are together, Jacinda is bonded with Cassian, Jacinda's mother ran away, and Miram got herself captured. Yeah, there are some problems. What annoyed me the most about this book was Miram. She was beyond annoying, she was weak, and when they escape the place they've taken her to (not really a spoiler, you know it's going to happen) she has a tracking device on her and puts them all in danger. I get that she's Cassian's sister, but I just wanted to choke her! While Jacinda's trapped with Miram, though, she meets other draki, and realizes that her coven isn't the only one out there. I wish we could have seen more of these characters than just in the beginning when they were all trapped. But one of the draki (Deghan) does follow Jacinda and the others out, and even saves Cassian. But he's also the one that had tried to kill Jacinda when the humans had released the draki into a controlled forest environment. So who is this guy?

I was glad that Jordan was able to add in another completely random piece of mystery, which was Deghan. I also liked Tamra, Jacinda's sister, being there for a lot of the book. I loved her growth and coming out of Jacinda's shadow. This thing between her and Deghan was interesting. They seem really drawn to each other, but it's never really explained why. But I really liked the introduction of Deghan's character--of Tamra being a new draki, and Deghan embracing his human side. At first, he wasn't able to turn back to being human since he hadn't done it in a while. Jacinda and Will were as strong as ever in their relationship. They each had moments of wondering if the other was going to leave them for one reason or another, but ultimately they were meant for each other. And I didn't mind Cassian, but he wasn't right for Jacinda. There was one thing I wish we would have seen happen between Jacinda and Will, but it didn't end perfectly.

There's one thing that really surprised me in this book, and that's who betrayed Jacinda's father. It was not who I was expecting, although it had been a while since Jacinda had been near the draki pride and so I couldn't remember who was there. But it was a surprise. This book was nonstop action and I loved every minute. It was too short!! I want more of this world, but sadly I don't think Jordan's doing anymore in the draki world. These books are fun, but also serious, and I'm sad to see this series go. Maybe she could write a novella for after Hidden ends from Tamra's POV, with her and Deghan. I don't why, but their story was so intriguing to me! I definitely recommend finishing this series.


1 comment:

  1. this article really helped me a lot thanks!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.