Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Defiance (Courier's Daughter Trilogy #1) by C.J. Redwine: review

Goodreads rating: 4.24
ARC416 pages
Expected publication: August 28th 2012 by Balzer + Bray
Source: ALA

Within the walls of Baalboden, beneath the shadow of the city’s brutal leader, Rachel Adams has a secret. While other girls sew dresses, host dinner parties, and obey their male Protectors, Rachel knows how to survive in the wilderness and deftly wield a sword. When her father, Jared, fails to return from a courier mission and is declared dead, the Commander assigns Rachel a new Protector, her father’s apprentice, Logan—the same boy Rachel declared her love for two years ago, and the same boy who handed her heart right back to her. Left with nothing but fierce belief in her father’s survival, Rachel decides to escape and find him herself. But treason against the Commander carries a heavy price, and what awaits her in the Wasteland could destroy her.

At nineteen, Logan McEntire is many things. Orphan. Outcast. Inventor. As apprentice to the city’s top courier, Logan is focused on learning his trade so he can escape the tyranny of Baalboden. But his plan never included being responsible for his mentor’s impulsive daughter. Logan is determined to protect her, but when his escape plan goes wrong and Rachel pays the price, he realizes he has more at stake than disappointing Jared.

As Rachel and Logan battle their way through the Wasteland, stalked by a monster that can’t be killed and an army of assassins out for blood, they discover romance, heartbreak, and a truth that will incite a war decades in the making.



This book was absolutely amazing! I think I related to it more because the main character is an older teenager and therefore had to make tougher decisions, but she also lived in the type of place where you have to grow up quickly. From the moment the book starts off, Rachel is hellbent on searching for her father, who has been declared dead Baalboden's tyrannical leader. Not only does the Commander (who is the only one who has kept them all safe from a horrible monster just outside the city walls) declare her father dead, but he also assigns Logan McEntire as her new guardian. And Rachel once told Logan that she was in love with him, and he turned her down. So you can imagine her chagrin, especially since she still feels something for him. But worse heartbreak is in store for Rachel when someone close to her is hurt because of her failed escape attempt to try and find her father. There was a lot of violence and death in this book, and at first I didn't think it was appropriate for YA (I didn't mind it), but this is a book for older teens, especially since the main characters are older. Defiance is painfully heartbreaking. I feel like there should be a warning on the book, for younger teens who don't need to know about that stuff yet. I've had this conversation with a few people now, and we all kind of agreed that the YA genre is getting more violent.

The story is also heartbreaking in the love department. Don't get me wrong; I loved the romance. There's so much pent-up tension between Logan and Rachel because of their past together. Logan knows that he hurt her when he turned her down years ago, but he felt the same way for her, he just didn't feel worthy of her. But because of that, Rachel hardened herself, especially to him. After her father goes missing, though, they're forced to spend time together, and that's where their pent-up feelings start to grow. Logan has a fierce loyalty when it comes to Rachel, but sometimes Rachel gets caught up in everything else and starts to lose herself. But that's what Logan's for. I guess the only bad thing I have to say about this book was that it was from both point of views. That's been showing up a lot lately, and part of the excitement of a book is that you have no idea what's going on in the other person's head. But there were times where they were apart, so I can see where it came in handy there.

Defiance is like a sci-fi dystopian, with mythical creatures and old traditions, but also insane inventions and chemicals. This book is smart and really has everything I could have asked for. Rachel got pretty dark at times as she let the horrible things consume her, but Logan was there at almost every turn to help her through it. It was when they were apart that it was the hardest. But there was a lot more going on than just the romance. The Commander, who has tried more than once to get rid of Logan and Rachel, has some something that scares off the creature outside the walls. But Rachel's father was delivering something specific on his way back, something the Commander has been dying to get. It could change the entire balance of power not only in Baalboden, but every other place under the rule of a Commander. And Rachel isn't the only one after it. This one is a must-read guys! But just be warned for younger teens that there is a little more violence. I seriously loved this book!


6 comments:

  1. I am SO looking forward to this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one too, Nicole. Rachel and Logan's romance was wonderful! Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your review for this book makes me so happy as I've been hearing some conflicting things about this one lately. I've been anticipating this one for months but have not had a chance to read it yet as it's on hold at the library. I can't wait! Fantastic review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You say this is book #1, I say someplace else where they say this is book #2.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does anyone know when the 2nd book will be out and if so, what is the title?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is how I like the romance. Present, but not overwhelming :) I'm happy this book delivers! I liked Defiance, so I can't wait to read this one.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.