Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Sweet Evil (The Sweet Trilogy #1) by Wendy Higgins: review

Goodreads rating: 4.23
Paperback, 447 pages
Published May 1st 2012 by HarperTeen
Source: Bought
 
Embrace the Forbidden
What if there were teens whose lives literally depended on being bad influences?

This is the reality for sons and daughters of fallen angels.

Tenderhearted Southern girl Anna Whitt was born with the sixth sense to see and feel emotions of other people. She’s aware of a struggle within herself, an inexplicable pull toward danger, but Anna, the ultimate good girl, has always had the advantage of her angel side to balance the darkness within. It isn’t until she turns sixteen and meets the alluring Kaidan Rowe that she discovers her terrifying heritage and her willpower is put to the test. He’s the boy your daddy warned you about. If only someone had warned Anna.

Forced to face her destiny, will Anna embrace her halo or her horns?
  
 
Okay, I'll admit it. I fell in love with this book because I fell in love with Kaidan. But I think that's what the author wanted. Anna's always been a good girl, but she doesn't know that she has an evil side that's waiting to come out. When Kaidan and Anna first meet, Kaidan thinks that she's supposed to have an "angel" with her. And of course, he has an accent *swoons*. Since it turns out Anna has no idea who she is (which is the child of a fallen angel, or in the case of this book, evil demons) and her father's in jail and her mother's dead, it's up to Kaidan to tell her who she is. When Anna has the chance to find out her secrets, she and Kaidan trek across the country to California. And you can imagine Kaidan and Anna alone together for days. The not-so-tightly-kept secret is that Kaidan is the son of Lust. I know, of course he is. And that picture of him on the cover totally does him justice, except that we see an even hotter personality when his walls start to crumble around Anna. She's more than just his next lay now, and that doesn't bode well for either of them. Not only is Anna still a good girl (and therefore obviously still a virgin), but Kaidan still has to "work". Hopefully you get what I mean by that.

In case I didn't say it before, Kaidan is beyond hot. He's a total arse, and being the son of Lust, he knows he's unearthly good-looking. Which, while she has to admit he's amazingly hot, doesn't exactly get Anna in the mood. But they keep getting pushed together, even though Anna knows she should stay away from him. But they intrigue each other. I think Anna wants to break through the bad boy exterior while finding out who she is, and Kaidan is trying to understand his feelings for Anna while at the same time hiding how he's starting to feel about her. And let's just say that there are times where their... urges get the better of them. Though they're never completely fulfilled, but there are enough sexy YA-appropriate scenes to push up the temperature in whatever room you're reading in. But I think there's definitely a relationship there, even with the way it ended.

Although this book was pretty much all about the romance, there's definitely a good story behind that. Anna still has her father, and she has to figure out how not to let the innate evil part of her to come out. But I get the feeling she's going to be tested in more than one way in the next book. What we're all really hoping for is more steamy scenes between Kaidan and Anna. Let's pray our hopes will come true. If you're looking for a good romance with a twist of paranormal, then this is for you. It's not just another angel book.


4 comments:

  1. I LOVED Anna and KAI! Glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeeeep I loved this book. I think it was a great example of writing about spirituality and religion without being preachy! I really hope Harper picks up a second one, I really need to find out what's going to happen next!!! Awesome review lady :)

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there Nicole!

    Kaiden sounds hot but very arrogant, sort of like Daemon from Obsidian. If he's the son of Lust, is his job to tempt more girls than just Anna? I'm guessing this is his "work." I just read another review on this that wasn't too complimentary but mostly I've been seeing ratings like yours which makes me want to pick this one up. Great review Nicole. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This books looks really good! I haven't had the chance to read it, because I don't want to buy it (just in case I don't like it much), and my public library system does not have it AT ALL. Rude. lol. I will read this book at some point. Although I hear that the publishers won't pick up the second book, Sweet Hope. That sucks. Ah well. Almost everyone loves this book. I'll read it eventually :)

    Thanks for the review!!!

    Alyssa Susanna

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.