Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Struck (Struck #1) by Jennifer Bosworth: review

Goodreads rating: 3.72
Hardcover, 373 pages
Published May 8th 2012 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux BYR
Series: Struck #1
Source: Bought

 Mia Price is a lightning addict. She’s survived countless strikes, but her craving to connect to the energy in storms endangers her life and the lives of those around her.

Los Angeles, where lightning rarely strikes, is one of the few places Mia feels safe from her addiction. But when an earthquake devastates the city, her haven is transformed into a minefield of chaos and danger. The beaches become massive tent cities. Downtown is a crumbling wasteland, where a traveling party moves to a different empty building each night, the revelers drawn to the destruction by a force they cannot deny. Two warring cults rise to power, and both see Mia as the key to their opposing doomsday prophecies. They believe she has a connection to the freak electrical storm that caused the quake, and to the far more devastating storm that is yet to come.

Mia wants to trust the enigmatic and alluring Jeremy when he promises to protect her, but she fears he isn’t who he claims to be. In the end, the passion and power that brought them together could be their downfall. When the final disaster strikes, Mia must risk unleashing the full horror of her strength to save the people she loves, or lose everything.

I'm not sure why this novel has a lower rating. Out of the Fierce Reads books, it was one of my favorites. And there were a lot of good books in there. When we're introduced to Mia, we have no idea who (or what) she is. I mean, really, who wants to be struck by lightning? Well, Jen does but we won't tell. She's living with her younger brother and her ailing mother in their home after a massive earthquake rocks LA. If you've ever been to Santa Monica, you've seen the homeless people. Now imagine more of them, all in white, and following a strange cult leader that supposedly predicted the earthquake. Because that's what's happened in the aftermath of the quake. But their leader is not at all what he seems. And neither is the creepy yet hot stalker Jeremy.


I loved the dynamic between Mia and Jeremy. At first, Mia thinks Jeremy is a stalker. Which he is, admittedly, but it's for a good cause. He wants to protect her, not hurt her, but Mia doesn't trust very many people. Her mother has been catatonic since she almost died during the quake, and her brother feels helpless. The white cult with the prophet ends up getting their claws into both of them, and Mia has no one to turn to but Jeremy. And finally, Mia begins to trust Jeremy and begins falling for him. Oh, and he rides a motorcycle, so already he's pretty hot. You just can't help but love him and how he's always trying to do the right thing but goes the wrong way about it. I'm hoping to see a lot more of them in the next book.


There was so much in this book to be suspicious of. We're even meant to be suspicious of Jeremy, and just when you think you can trust him, it turns out he's still not who we thought he was. Everyone's intentions are so messed up and almost always unknown in this book. It's not so much mystery as being suspicious of everything and everyone, and there were big twists I was not expecting. Bosworth has written a unique story that turned into a truly beautiful novel. The fact that Mia has these physical flaws, yet Jeremy still finds her attractive (he hasn't seen all of the lightning scars, but he's seen some). Mia is super relatable because we all have scars, whether they're outward or inward, and Mia has some of both.




3 comments:

  1. Eeeeep I loved this book :D She's such a great writer, I can't wait to see what she writes next!!! Awesome review :)

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  2. After reading the prequel novella on TOR.com this book is on my radar. I'm glad you liked it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! I haven't read this yet but I own a copy and it's sitting on my desk, waiting to be read. I'm not sure when I'll get around to it, but hopefully soon, because it sounds great :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.