Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Insurgent (Divergent #2) by Veronica Roth: review

Goodreads rating: 4.33
Hardcover, 525 pages
Published May 1st 2012 by HarperTeen
Series: Divergent #2
Source: Bought, signed

One choice can transform you--or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.

"New York Times" bestselling author Veronica Roth's much-anticipated second book of the dystopian "Divergent" series is another intoxicating thrill ride of a story, rich with hallmark twists, heartbreaks, romance, and powerful insights about human nature.

Insurgent was not better than Divergent. Okay, now that I've gotten that out of the way, this book made me so nervous. I was just waiting for someone to come out of the woodwork and kill Tris or Four or someone that Tris cared about. I guess my only issue was that Tris seemed kind of whiney in this one. She feels so guilty about what happened at the end of Divergent that she lets it consume her, and it effects her relationship with Four. I get trying not to think about the people you love being dead (although I can't imagine what it would be like to kill one of those people myself), but there's so much going on I don't think it would always be on my mind like it was with Tris. This book is pretty much nonstop action, which was good, but those low parts, while very well-written, made me want to put the book down sometimes.

The romance between Tris and Four heats up intensely before almost fizzling out completely. This is due to the fact that Tris is keeping the secret from him that drives her guilt, and he's keeping things from her as well. But that's ho early relationships are, even in a dystopian world like this one. You think you can get away with keeping things from the people you care about but don't yet completely trust because you don't feel like both/either of you will benefit from it. But what Four and Tris don't realize is how much they're hurting themselves and what they're fighting for by doing this. I could see why Four wasn't exactly all over Tris when she was being whiney and depressed. I think something teens reading this might not realize is that Four wasn't being mean. He and Tris may love each other, but they haven't had the time to grow as close to each other as say a couple that's been together for a few years. They're not ready to lean completely on each other yet, no matter how much they seem to love each other.

Wow, that got a little ranty. I guess those are my words of wisdom for the week. I did enjoy this book, but like I said, it was not as good as Divergent. I think Divergent kind of surprised everyone with how deliciously good it was. And Insurgent is good and we learn some new mind-blowing things, but it's nothing compared to the explosion of Divergent. And even in saying that, I still give it 5/5, so you can see how great this series is. It seems like there's so much more that's going to happen to this dystopian world, and Tris is in the middle of it. I cannot wait for the next one!!


2 comments:

  1. I totally agree with your review. Insurgent was a bit of a disappointment for me. I HATED Tris and Four's relationship problems. It annoyed me that they kept hiding things from each other and Tris was being a little pathetic. It was just so frustrating because I loved how simple their relationship was in Divergent. Even though it was kind of frowned upon (teacher-student thing), it still worked.

    I did really like the end of Insurgent though. I think it sets the stage for the next book really well. So now I have high hopes that the third book will be better than Insurgent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eesh! This review makes me want to read Divergent next. I actually have it right by my bed. Literally I look over the side of my bed and there it is on the floor on top of "Witches of East End". Haunting Violet is the book beside me right now, though I haven't started it. Hm.... maybe I should start Divergent instead.

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.