Sunday, July 1, 2012

Drop of Poison (2): Of Poseidon by Anna Banks & Monument 14 by Emmy Laybourne

Yes, I've done it again. I've just been reading a lot, and to be honest ALA took a lot of me mentally, so I'm giving you a couple mini reviews so that I'm not stressing about having to do full reviews for like six books now.





Goodreads rating: 4.13
Hardcover, 336 pages
Published May 22nd 2012 by Feiwel & Friends
Series: Of Poseidon #1
Source: Bought/e-ARC

Galen, a Syrena prince, searches land for a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. It’s while Emma is on vacation at the beach that she meets Galen. Although their connection is immediate and powerful, Galen's not fully convinced that Emma's the one he's been  looking for. That is, until a deadly encounter with a shark proves  that Emma and her Gift may be the only thing that can save his kingdom. He needs her help--no matter what the risk.





If you're thinking this is another mermaid book, it's definitely not. The book starts out with utter heartbreak, involving the main character and a dangerous ocean. What our love interest, Galen, begins to realize is that Emma is more than human. In fact, she's a lot like him. There wasn't a lot of mystery in this book (except for a few twists) because it's told from both Galen and Emma's point of view. We know what both of them are thinking, not only about the fishy situations (ha ha...) but about each other.

The romance was interesting. I really enjoyed the hot moments between Emma and Galen, but they had an odd dynamic. They were hot and cold, and he was super protective to the point of violence (not against Emma) and he was also possessive over her. I get that that's how males work, and maybe it's because he's more fish than human, but it got a little crazy. What I really loved about the romance in this book is that there wasn't just one couple that was struggling to be together. It made it all seem so real, and I loved it.

I really loved this book. I just wish I had written my review earlier to remember all the things I loved about it. But you should definitely give it a try, especially if you're looking for a good "mermaid" book.




 Goodreads rating: 3.77
Hardcover, 294 pages
Published June 5th 2012 by Feiwel & Friends
Series: Monument 14 #1 
Source: Bought/e-ARC

Your mother hollers that you’re going to miss the bus. She can see it coming down the street. You don’t stop and hug her and tell her you love her. You don’t thank her for being a good, kind, patient mother. Of course not—you launch yourself down the stairs and make a run for the corner.Only, if it’s the last time you’ll ever see your mother, you sort of start to wish you’d stopped and did those things. Maybe even missed the bus.But the bus was barreling down our street, so I ran.

 Fourteen kids. One superstore. A million things that go wrong.

In Emmy Laybourne’s action-packed debut novel, six high school kids (some popular, some not), two eighth graders (one a tech genius), and six little kids trapped together in a chain superstore build a refuge for themselves inside. While outside, a series of escalating disasters, beginning with a monster hailstorm and ending with a chemical weapons spill, seems to be tearing the world—as they know it—apart.

I always find myself kind of weirded out at books that for the most part take place in small stores or schools or houses or what have you. Especially with not knowing what's outside; that freaks me out. Monument 14 reminded me of This Is Not A Test by Courtney Summers (you can find my review if that here), except in this one there more people with different age ranges. And it's not zombies per say that they're hiding from. Imagine all the chemical waste we've created suddenly just seeping out into the world, but this is a billion times worse.

This is actually told from a guys perspective, which I thought was interesting. The author mentioned in the Q&A that she didn't realize that a lot of YA books aren't written from a guy's POV, but it also made total sense. She needed a way for her main character to be part of the male power struggle, which is so present in this book. There's a little romance and unrequited love, and the ending is insane, and I wonder where she's going to go from here (location and story).

I actually really enjoyed this. I wasn't sure I would, but I enjoyed the writing, and it seems like it would be really difficult to write an entire story that takes place in a store. I'm excited to see what happens next.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.