Saturday, July 21, 2012

City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments #5) by Cassandra Clare: review

Goodreads rating: 4.35
Hardcover, 534 pages
Published May 8th 2012 by Margaret K. McElderry 
Source: Bought

The demon Lilith has been destroyed and Jace freed from captivity. But when the Shadowhunters arrive, they find only blood and broken glass. Not only is the boy Clary loves missing, so is the boy she hates: her brother Sebastian, who is determined to bring the Shadowhunters to their knees.

The Clave's magic cannot locate either boy, but Jace can't stay away from Clary. When they meet again Clary discovers the horror Lilith's magic has wrought - Jace and Sebastian are now bound to each other, and Jace has become a servant of evil. The Clave is determined to destroy Sebastian, but there is no way to harm one boy without destroying the other.

Only a few people believe that Jace can still be saved. Together, Alec, Magnus, Simon, and Isabelle bargain with the sinister Seelie Queen, contemplate deals with demons, and turn at last to the merciless, weapon-making Iron Sisters, who might be able to forge a weapon that can sever the bond between Sebastian and Jace. If the Iron Sisters can't help, their only hope is to challenge Heaven and Hell - a risk that could claim their lives.

And they must do it without Clary. For Clary is playing a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing not just her own life, but Jace's soul. She's willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost? What price is too high to pay, even for love?

Love. Blood. Betrayal. Revenge. Darkness threatens to claim the Shadowhunters in the harrowing fifth book of the Mortal Instruments series.

I was one of those people that was a little miffed that she decided to extend the series. It was perfect as a trilogy, and while there were still some loose ends, I was satisfied with it ending that way.City of Fallen Angels was a bit of a disappointment for me, and as I said in my review of it, I was almost going to give it four stars until that amazing ending happened. Well you can rest a little easier, because City of Lost Souls was pretty dang good. The first chunk of the book is waiting for Jace (and, consequently, Sebastian) to show up. But we soon find out that Jace isn't the same person anymore. Sebastian has basically made him his lap dog. But what was really brilliant about what Clare did here was that she made him only barely unrecognizable. She knows her characters so well that she can barely tweak one of her most beloved guys so that we're not sure how much he's been messed up. I was definitely impressed by this, and Clare still has a way of surprising me.


So, as you may have guessed, the romance is a little... off. Clary is still so unhealthily in love with Jace, but Jace is sort of under Sebastian's evil spell. He has immense power that he got from Lilith, and he needs Jace to fulfill his plans. Once Clary is able to find Jace, she knows that she can't just let him go. So she agrees to be part of their plans, and she suffers a relationship with this sort of half-Jace. That totally broke my heart. You could watch how it was killing her, and there were instances where it seemed like the old Jace was back. Obviously, it eventually happens. That's not really a spoiler; but it doesn't happen like you expect it to, and it's at a very inopportune moment. But the little romantic moments that were there, were hot. It'll be interesting to see how Clare is going to mess with their relationship for one last book. You know it's not going to be just about beating Sebastian.


Again, I enjoyed this book. But I really wish it would have stayed a trilogy. She could go on and on with the perilous misadventures of Jace and Clary, but I think City of Glass ended with the perfect amount of uncertainty. It didn't need to be tweaked the way it was. But there are also parts of this book that I loved that I'm not sure I would want to give back now that I've read them. Besides, I love Cassie Clare's writing and the world o Shadowhunters. I'll be interested to see when she starts an entirely new world without Shadowhunters. Her writing is gorgeous, but I'd love to see it in a dystopian or something. Either way, I cannot wait for the next book! Of course, first we must wait for Clockwork Princess.




1 comment:

  1. I was happy with TMI as a trilogy as well and was disappointed in CoFA but CoLS made it up for me. I liked the interesting turn that this one took and I'm curious what the last one holds in store.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.