Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Before I Wake (Soul Screamers #6) by Rachel Vincent: review

Goodreads rating: 4.44
Paperback, 339 pages
Published June 26th 2012 by Harlequin Teen
Series: Soul Screamers #6
Source: Bought

I died on a Thursday-killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it. The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school...  Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend. But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life...
 


This series has taken a strange turn. WARNING: If you haven't read If I Die, there are going to be some major spoilers in this review for you. Kaylee is dead. Well, technically her soul lives on, and she's kind of immortal, but still dead as a doornail somehow. The ending of If I Die was literally one of the craziest endings to a book that I've ever read. But I'm now weary with this series because of who Kaylee picked to be with. I would be different if I had seen it coming that she wanted to be with Tod, but honestly I had no idea. I was Team Nash all the way, and I still kind of am. It's obvious that she's going to stay with Tod (or at least not be with Nash), and I can't knock it because it makes her happy. But I miss the old Nash, the guy he used to be before the demon's breath. He royally screwed up, and I think he's going to try and make it work with Sabine, but I wouldn't mind having Nash to myself. 

I've completely forgotten the name of the bad demon guy that's hell bent (pardon the pun) on getting her pure soul. So we shall call him BDG (bad demon guy). Somehow, he's found a way to possess human bodies, but they're of people that are already dead, some for a few months. So Kaylee has that to figure out. Mix that drama with Nash still being in love with her, her dad setting down reaper ground rules, and pages upon pages of making out (and more) with Tod, and that's what this book was about. I'll be honest, I liked the beginning of this series much better. Nothing had hit the fan yet and some characters were still alive. And Nash was still with Kaylee. I'm the kind of person that, when I start a book and there are guys that I can kind of choose from that the main character should pick, I stick with the one that I love most. And that's Nash. I actually kind of hated Tod for a while. But I can see now that Kaylee loves him and blah blah blah.

Kaylee's cousin gets the award for most surprising character. She knew a lot more about the Soul Screamers world than she was letting on. And with the addition of the necromancer being her boyfriend, she ended up kind of immersing herself into Kaylee's world. Which isn't exactly good when the BDG is out for her soul and will get it by any means necessary. Especially if that means hurting the people closest to her. And, again, Kaylee's best friend is thrown into the middle of it all, and something happens to her at the end of the book that infuriates Kaylee. Hopefully that'll gain her some power and she can defeat BDG. 'Cause that guy is just annoying. Overall, I enjoyed this book, but not as much as the first few books in the series. Although, I have to admit, I love this cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.