Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tiger Lily by Jodie Lynn Anderson: review

Goodreads rating: 3.98
Hardcover, 292 pages
Expected publication: July 3rd 2012 by HarperTeen 
Source: ARC tour
Before Peter Pan belonged to Wendy, he belonged to the girl with the crow feather in her hair. . . .

Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily doesn't believe in love stories or happy endings. Then she meets the alluring teenage Peter Pan in the forbidden woods of Neverland and immediately falls under his spell.

Peter is unlike anyone she's ever known. Impetuous and brave, he both scares and enthralls her. As the leader of the Lost Boys, the most fearsome of Neverland's inhabitants, Peter is an unthinkable match for Tiger Lily. Soon, she is risking everything—her family, her future—to be with him. When she is faced with marriage to a terrible man in her own tribe, she must choose between the life she's always known and running away to an uncertain future with Peter.

With enemies threatening to tear them apart, the lovers seem doomed. But it's the arrival of Wendy Darling, an English girl who's everything Tiger Lily is not, that leads Tiger Lily to discover that the most dangerous enemies can live inside even the most loyal and loving heart.

From the New York Times bestselling author of Peaches comes a magical and bewitching story of the romance between a fearless heroine and the boy who wouldn't grow up.

I wanted to love this so badly. Fairytale retellings are always fascinating to me, and when I saw that this one was about Peter Pan and Tiger Lily, I got really excited. Sadly, this book was not up to my standards. I guess the only thing that really bothered me (although it was a pretty bad thing) was that the writing was so impersonal and passive. Because of this I couldn't get very invested in the story. It's told from the point of view of Tinkerbell. Apparently, she didn't know Peter Pan before Tiger Lily found him and Tink tagged along. Tink fell in love with him right away, while Tiger Lily kept her emotions inside and began to love him slowly.

That's another thing. I didn't really like Tiger Lily. She kept to herself and since the story wasn't from her point of view, we didn't get to know her all that well. And the weirdest thing is that sometimes Tink knew what people were thinking, but only sometimes. It was all very confusing because it was so inconsistent. Peter was also strange. He's rude and bipolar and not a very good love interest. Their whole relationship was so awkward. I think the author was trying to show how they weren't meant to be by making it seem so unnatural, but I think she went about it the wrong way. There were moments where I enjoyed their little romance and felt butterflies in my stomach for them. But otherwise it was almost painful watching them.

My favorite characters were the Lost Boys. They brought Tiger Lily into their little family, and I think that's one of the reasons Peter began to fall for her. They were all so cute, and while they had technically lived for a while (as Neverland stops you from aging at a certain age), they were still children at heart. They told stories about pirates, and this is where I felt it was most like the original story and like the Disney movie. Their innocence made the book for me; without the awesomeness of the Lost Boys this book would have been a total dud for me. 

All in all, it was an interesting retelling. I wanted to love it because I love the original story. But Anderson's writing was hands-off and I didn't connect with any of the characters. Borrow it if you can, because its still worth a read.


2 comments:

  1. The premise of a story about Tiger Lily totally grabbed me, but that is so weird that the story would be told by Tinkerbell! To me, that doesn't make sense! Why?!?! If you're going to name a book Tiger Lily, make it about her!!!

    Glad I read your review! I'll definitely have guarded and lower expectations if I decided to give this book a try.

    Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, yeah, that does seem strange... naming it "Tiger Lily" but then having Tinker Bell be the POV. A little deceptive there, let alone "not fair" to Tiger Lily. That's a shame, that it seems inconsistent, too. Darn. One thing about Pan though - he *is* a terrible brat sometimes. ;) But I'm guessing you meant in comparison to that as portrayed here. Thanks for the warning of sorts.

    Do you know about these two? They're the only 'other' Pan books I actually really like. Hope they strike a note on the ol' panpipes for you, too.

    This one's a story based on Barrie’s own idea for more:
    Click!
    And here's a great 'What if?' adventure (but it's not for the kids!): Click!

    Thanks and happy reading!
    BELIEVE!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.