Saturday, June 16, 2012

Spectral Blog Tour: Review of Spectral by Shannon Duffy


Goodreads rating: 3.90
ebook, 242 pages
Published April 10th 2012 by Tribute Books
Source: Publisher

Convinced she’s a part of the witness protection program, sixteen-year-old Jewel Rose is shuffled around the globe with her family like a pack of traveling gypsies. After arriving at lucky home twenty-seven, she stumbles upon a mysterious boy with magical powers claiming to be her guardian . . . and warning of imminent danger. Despite the obvious sparks between them, Jewel discovers a relationship is forbidden, and the more she learns about dark, brooding Roman, she begins to question who she can even believe—the family who raised her, or the supposed sworn protector who claims they’ve been lying to her all along.

As she struggles to uncover who her family has really been running from, she is forced to hide her birthmark that reveals who she is. With new realities surfacing, unexplained powers appearing, and two tempting boys vying for her heart, Jewel battles to learn who she can trust in an ever growing sea of lies, hoping she’ll make it through her seventeenth birthday alive.

This indie debut novel really shined for me, and should definitely be up there with the books from the big six publishing companies. I read in one day and didn't want to put it down. I think one of the first things I liked about this book was that it was a standalone. You know how I feel about the guy and the girl saying in the very first book that they love each other (which does happen here), but somehow I find it easier to digest when there aren't going to be any more books where their relationship can go utterly awry. Both of the boys in this book were undoubtedly gorgeous and sexy beyond reason, but it was also obvious which boy she was going to choose. There really is no war over her heart until she thinks that the guy she cares about most has completely betrayed her after she told him everything. In this case, I knew he didn't betray, but it's always so interesting watching a character destroy themselves and the people around them while you know the truth. But I do think it was weird that she sent the other guy home after they both got kidnapped and then escaped, and then we never her from him again. Yes, I'm leaving their names out on purpose, so that you have to read the book to find out which one it is.

I've always complained about how I don't enjoy this particular paranormal genre of YA (if I told you what it was, it would give it away). This is because no one's written a book in this YA genre that I've actually enjoyed. Spectral has totally changed my mind. I think it's because we didn't know until our character found out what she was, and even then, her "powers" didn't show up until she really needed them. Jewel is an awesome heroine. She is definitely someone a teenager that reads this can look up to. She's fiercely loyal, especially to her little brother. She's also pretty selfless for a teenager. She has some flaws but she is a generally good person at heart. She was also uber-relatable to me. I was forced to move around a few times myself when I was younger, and so I know what it's like being the new girl and wondering when your parents are going to make you move again. Obviously I was never in the witness protection program (not that you know of anyway), but I definitely know a little bit about what it would have been like for her.

I think my only complaint is that some of the plot twists were predictable. But not as much as I thought there would be. In my mind I was thinking, "if you've read one, you've read them all." This is not the case with Spectral. I wish I could actually tell you what this book is about in the paranormal sense, but I don't want to ruin the mysterious element of the book for you. But let me just say that the kissing scenes between both boys are pretty hot for YA. There aren't any roaming hands or anything, but just the way that Duffy wrote the scenes made me sigh and want to switch places with Jewel badly. You guys should definitely give this one a try.



1 comment:

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.