Sunday, June 3, 2012

Once (Eve #2) by Anna Carey: review

Goodreads: 4.39
Hardcover, 320 pages
Expected publication: July 3rd 2012 by Harper Collins
Series: Eve #2
Sixteen years have passed since a deadly virus wiped out most of the Earth’s population. After learning of the terrifying part she and her classmates were fated to play in the rebuilding of New America, eighteen-year-old Eve fled to the wilds and Califia, a haven for women determined to live outside the oppressive rule of the king of New America. However, her freedom came at a price: she was forced to leave Caleb, the boy she loves, wounded and alone at the city gates. Eve quickly learns that Califia may not be as safe as it seems and soon finds herself in the City of Sand and the palace of the king. There she uncovers the real reason he was so intent on her capture, and the unbelievable role he intends her to fill. When she is finally reunited with Caleb, they will enact a plan as daring as it is dangerous. But will Eve once again risk everything—her freedom, her life—for love?

Brimming with danger and star-crossed romance, and featuring a vivid dystopian landscape, this electrifying follow-up to Eve, which bestselling author Lauren Kate called “a gripping, unforgettable adventure—and a fresh look at what it means to love” is sure to appeal to fans who crave the high-stakes adventure of The Hunger Games and the irresistible love story of Romeo and Juliet.
This book was just as amazing as I'd hoped it be. Anna Carey's writing is addictive and I honestly couldn't stop reading. We're left off on a huge cliffhanger at the end of Eve, and Once doesn't leave us off much better. But what really made this book stand out is that we're thrown into a completely different part of Eve's world. Now I can't really divulge all that much because it'll ruin the secret of basically the whole book. But the king still wants Eve, and he'll do anything to get to her. The people she's staying with aren't all that loyal to her. And she finds herself captured and being taken to the City of Sand (AKA Las Vegas, which I thought was hilarious).

The romance was amazing, but so different this time. Being trapped in the palace in the City of Sand, Eve has to find creative ways to get to Caleb, once she finds out that he is alive. There was this one review that I read of this book, saying that they didn't know why Eve is so obsessed with Caleb, and to be honest I'm not sure either. He obviously sounds good-looking and he seems to challenge her in ways that she's never been challenged before. But beyond that, I can't see why she's so obsessed with him. Maybe because he's the first boy she met since escaping from her school in the first book. Maybe it's just little things about him that made her fall in love with him that even Eve didn't notice. Either way, I loved the moments in this book between these two. There wasn't much chance to be sweet. They were either strategizing, or making out. There was a scene where they're in a motor-home or something like that and I'm not sure if they do IT or not, but either way, things are definitely heating up between these two. Too bad there's a lot between them that's keeping them apart.

The plot really thickens in this book. I really REALLY wish I could tell you more, but it's a pretty huge secret. Unless you've already figured it out (and in that case, kudos to you because I had no idea). Once is full of action and intrigue and now politics. Anna Carey introduces us to a whole new side of New America that we didn't get to see in Eve. The first book was wild and new and untamed. Now, we're forced (just like Eve) back into reality. A reality that is beyond anything she could have imagined. This book was so good!

2 comments:

  1. OMG I LOVED THIS BOOK SO MUCH!!! SO MUCH!!! It was way better than Eve, UGH I just want to read it again. I cried SO HARD through the whole thing!!! So intense. OMG! Great review :D

    Anna @ Literary Exploration

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eve is one of those books you secretly want to read, but end up debating with yourself after reading all those mixed reviews. But let me tell you: Eve was a pretty satisfying read.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.