Sunday, June 10, 2012

Drop of Poison (AKA mini reviews): Balthazar by Claudia Gray & Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman


This is my first time doing this, and I'm kind of embarrassed to admit it. When I do mini reviews, I read these books and enjoyed them. That's not the issue. I get bogged down with blog tours or decide I don't have enough time to do a review so I'll do a meme. I read Book of Blood and Shadow actually the very last week of last year, and I was reading so many books to reach my Goodreads goal that I just forgot to review that one. And I really don't know how Balthazar ended up in this category. I just fail. But here's a little about the books and a few of my thoughts.

Kindle Edition, 450 pages
Published April 10th 2012 by Knopf Books for Young Readers 
Source: e-ARC sent by publisher
 

It was like a nightmare, but there was no waking up. When the night began, Nora had two best friends and an embarrassingly storybook one true love. When it ended, she had nothing but blood on her hands and an echoing scream that stopped only when the tranquilizers pierced her veins and left her in the merciful dark.

But the next morning, it was all still true: Chris was dead. His girlfriend Adriane, Nora’s best friend, was catatonic. And Max, Nora’s sweet, smart, soft-spoken Prince Charming, was gone. He was also—according to the police, according to her parents, according to everyone—a murderer.

Desperate to prove his innocence, Nora follows the trail of blood, no matter where it leads. It ultimately brings her to the ancient streets of Prague, where she is drawn into a dark web of secret societies and shadowy conspirators, all driven by a mad desire to possess something that might not even exist. For buried in a centuries-old manuscript is the secret to ultimate knowledge and communion with the divine; it is said that he who controls the Lumen Dei controls the world. Unbeknownst to her, Nora now holds the crucial key to unlocking its secrets. Her night of blood is just one piece in a puzzle that spans continents and centuries. Solving it may be the only way she can save her own life.

 I remember that the romance in this really intrigued me. And the other thing I remember is that the whole book was kind of predictable. And when I say the whole book, I mean who ends up being the true bad guy. But there was still one thing that it did have, and that was mystery. This whole book was just a cluster of mystery and it really got you entangled in the story. Granted, there were some slow parts and there were some times where I felt kind of detached from the main character, but all in all I really enjoyed this book. I actually want to say more, but that would give away the book. Despite the fact that it's a long synopsis, it doesn't give you the whole story at all.


Paperback ARC, 374 pages
Published March 6th 2012 by HarperTeen
Series: Evernight
Source: Won ARC
 Haunted by memories from his first days as a vampire, Balthazar has spent hundreds of years alone—without allies, without love. When he emerges from his isolation to help Skye Tierney, a human girl who once attended Evernight Academy, Balthazar has no idea how dangerous it will be. Skye’s psychic powers have caught the attention of Redgrave, the cruel master vampire responsible for murdering Balthazar and his family four centuries ago. Having learned of Skye’s powers and the remarkable effect her blood has on vampires, he plans to use her for his own evil purposes. As they stand together to fight the evil vampire, Balthazar realizes his lonely world could finally be changed by Skye...just as Redgrave realizes that he can destroy Balthazar once and for all by taking her for his own.

In a story filled with forbidden love and dark suspense, one of the most beloved characters in Claudia Gray’s New York Times bestselling Evernight series will captivate readers with his battle to overcome his past and follow his heart.
It's sad; I really would love to give this one a full review but I just can't remember it all. I do remember loving everything about this book though. Balthazar was so broken after Bianca didn't return his feelings for her as she was still in love with Lucas. Balthazar was also one of my favorite characters of the Evernight series and I just loved him in this. The Evernight series is not one of my favorites, and definitely not up there with the best YA vampire series. But Balty's story with Skye is beautiful. We get to see them both grow and let their guards down. But there's also a lot of action, and we get to see a little of Lucas and Bianca. I felt like there was more relationship development in this one book than there was in the whole series. I seriously loved this book!




1 comment:

  1. I still really liked this book. Balthazar is such a great character that I think it would be impossible for me to give any book about him five stars. There are things I think that could have been improved upon, but it's still a great read that I highly recommend to paranormal romance fans, Twilight fans, and angst fans.

    Rowena
    Baltimore Carpet Stretching

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.