Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Shine (Shade #3) by Jeri Smith-Ready: review

Goodreads rating: 4.54
Hardcover, 416 pages
Published May 1st 2012 by Simon Pulse
Series: Shade #3
Setting: Baltimore, Maryland; Ireland; Scotland
Source: Won/signed hardcover

In this dramatic conclusion to the Shade trilogy, Aura and Zachary’s relationship sizzles as the secrets of the Shift are revealed.

Life can change in an instant, and no one understands that better than Aura. It’s been almost a year since her boyfriend tragically died. She’s finally letting go of Logan’s violet-hued ghost, but not her search to uncover the truth about her past.

As the first in a generation that can see ghosts, Aura is convinced she has a connection to the Shift. She’s trusted Zachary, ever patient and ever by her side, with all that she knows. But when the government threatens his life in an attempt to learn Aura’s secrets, she will stop at nothing to protect herself and the one she loves...even if that means betraying her own heart.

Shine was a breath-taking conclusion to a beloved series. The only drawback is that the series is over now. I cannot describe how long I have waited for this book, nor can I describe how much I was satisfied and unsatisfied at the same time. Let me explain. Like with the end of most series, there's a bittersweet feeling. Besides the "end" of the Mortal Instruments series (AKA book 3), this is the most disappointed I've ever been that a series is over. Jeri found a way into all of our hearts and found a way to make us either love or hate every single one of her characters. It's funny though because this series is probably the most I've won swag and books from. I have all three books signed by her just by sheer luck. But this is one of my favorite series and I was sad to see it go.

What makes these books is the romance. Yes, Jeri really knows how to write a great action scene with plenty of suspenseful descriptions. But it's been all about Aura and Zachary for a while now. And she knows that. This book was satisfying in so many ways, one major one being the romance heating up between Zachary and Aura. Now that Logan's gone (yes, he is really and truly gone for good this time), nothing is standing in the way of Aura and Zachary being together. Oh, except for maybe the blood-thirsty DMP and just generally crazy people who think they know how to stop the Shift from happening. Needless to say, we don't see a lot of Zachary in the first third of the book. He gets captured by the DMP and he comes out a ghost of the man he once was. And Aura doesn't know what to do.

There was of course some of my favorite: the super sexy scenes. Honestly, these should be illegal, but they're just too good. One thing I like about Jeri's writing is that she's not afraid to swear (which, despite the fact that teens swear A LOT, doesn't show up a lot in YA) and she barely holds back her sexy scenes. And you know I have the pages marked where certain ones are. But when they weren't... proving their love to each other, they were trying to figure out how to end the Shift. And they may have just found a way--when they're attacked by people that aren't DMP that think killing them will end the Shift. Aura and Zachary have some pretty big obstacles to climb over. And it was never a question of will they do it, but how they'll do it and who will get hurt in the process? Let's just say Jeri knows how to end a series.

Again, I'm so sad that this series is over. It's one of my favorites and I hope to read all of them over again one day. If you're debating whether to read this final installment, pick it up NOW! You won't regret it :)


1 comment:

  1. I read the first 2 books, but I haven't gotten around to the third, looks like I am going to have to get around to it sooner rather than later based on your review. I didn't want the series to end yet so I have been holding off on reading the book.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.