Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Arise (Hereafter #2) by Tara Hudson: review

Goodreads rating: 4.26
Hardcover, 404 pages
Expected publication: June 5th 2012 by Harper Collins
Series: Hereafter #2
Source: ARC tour
Amelia—still caught between life and death—must fight for every moment of her relationship with the human boy Joshua. They can hardly even kiss without Amelia accidentally dematerializing. Looking for answers, they go to visit some of Joshua’s Seer relatives in New Orleans. But even in a city so famously steeped in the supernatural, Amelia ends up with more questions than answers…and becomes increasingly convinced that she and Joshua can never have a future together.Wandering through the French Quarter, Amelia meets other in-between ghosts, and begins to seriously consider joining them. And then she meets Gabrielle. Somehow, against impossible odds, Gaby has found a way to live a sort of half-life...a half-life for which Amelia would pay any price. Torn between two worlds, Amelia must choose carefully, before the evil spirits of the netherworld choose for her.  
One of this things I liked most about this book: the change of scenery. I feel like the places where the story begins can really wear out it's welcome. And I love that Hudson took us to one of coolest places (so I've heard) in the US: the French Quarter in Louisiana. Here, we find more about the strange things that are happening to Amelia. But Amelia find something here that she never thought existed--something she can never unlearn now that she knows. This book was so full of mystery! I know the first one was as well, but this was on a whole other level of awesomeness.

I love the romance between Amelia and Joshua, although I wish there had been more of it... and that they could kiss a little deeper before she mistakenly disappears. But Amelia is sent a message by Eli before she leaves for the French Quarter. Yes, that Eli. The one that tried to take her soul to hell basically. He warns her that the people that want her soul aren't going to stop until they get it. There's something special about her, and they'll do anything--hurt everyone she loves--to get her. Needless to say, this dampens things on the romance department for most of the book. I kept waiting for Amelia to tell Joshua what's going on. But even though she's a ghost, she still has the mind of teenager. A teenage girl specifically, which means she makes stupid mistakes on her own. And they don't all turn out well.

Like I said, the mystery was great. We're introduced to a couple new characters, and while the bad guy was predictable, I liked how we got there. It's that thing where you know a character is bad, but you're not sure how and what their motives are. I have to say that, at least, was a twist. I wish I could say more, but that would ruin the mystery that is the essence of this entire book. I cannot wait to see where Hudson takes her readers in the final (?) Hereafter novel.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.