Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Angel Eyes Blog Tour: Review of Angel Eyes (Angel Eyes Trilogy #1) by Shannon Dittemore


Goodreads rating: 4.01
Kindle Edition, 336 pages
Expected publication: May 29th 2012 by Thomas Nelson
Source: Blog tour
Once you’ve seen, you can’t unsee. Everything changes when you’ve looked at the world through . . .

ANGEL EYES

Brielle’s a ballerina who went to the city to chase her dreams and found tragedy instead. She’s come home to shabby little Stratus, Oregon, to live with her grief and her guilt . . . and the incredible, numbing cold she can’t seem to shake.

Jake’s the new guy at school. The boy next door with burning hands and an unbelievable gift that targets him for corruption.

Something more than fate has brought them together. An evil bigger than both of them lurks in the shadows nearby, hiding in plain sight. Two angels stand guard, unsure what’s going to happen. And a beauty brighter than Jake or Brielle has ever seen is calling them to join the battle in a realm where all human choices start.

A realm that only angels and demons—and Brielle—can perceive.
I have read more religious books in the first half of this year than I have ever have in my life (though that's not counting The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis). Yes, this book has religion, but it surprisingly doesn't get that religious, and only until the end. I guess the problem I have with making angels actually heavenly and to have them be close to god is just that. Girls want the bad boys, and let's face it: angels aren't nearly as attractive if they're not fallen or are being temped to fall. I would have read this book no matter what, but it would be nice to know how much religion is involved with a book. This is really my only big complaint. At the end, Elle has a sort of epiphany, and I would have liked the author to maybe wait a little farther along in the trilogy to do so.

Besides that, I enjoyed this book. It has that element of not being up to par with most of the books from the big six, but I like the way Dittemore's writing flowed and I like the story she's created. Brielle is back in her old hometown from the big city. In the Midwest people call it a podunk town, where everything is just really slow and no one's in a rush to go anywhere or do anything because there really isn't anywhere to go or anything to do. But Brielle is back by choice. I wish I could tell you why she's decided to come back, but it takes away part of the mystery at the beginning of the book that I loved so much. Brielle used to be a dancer as well, but when she gets back home she doesn't really get back into it. I'm not sure about this one thing: either she doesn't want to or she actually physically can't do it. Either way, Elle has given up dancing. And she's depressed all the time. That is, until she meets Jake.

I loved the story between these two. It isn't really love at first sight. And by the end of the book, they're close but they're not saying they love each other. Those of you who read my reviews know that I HATE this about a good chunk of YA books out there, and I'm glad Dittemore didn't give in to any impulses she might have had of having them profess their love in the first book. So, kudos. Jake is there to watch over Brielle (I'm not sure if he's Nephilim or an angel or what), but as the book goes on it turns out that the two of their fates are more entwined than they ever realized. And they begin to depend on each other and open up to each other. And I ate up every second I got of them, and I cannot wait to see more!
I definitely recommend this book to anyone that's into the YA angel phenomena or if you're looking for a book with a slight twist of religion to it. Like I said, it's not that overbearing, and even at the end it's mostly brief. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.