Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books That Were Totally Deceiving

Top Ten Books That Were Totally Deceiving (those covers or titles that don't fit the books, a book that was totally different than its summary, or those books you thought were going to be fluff that turned out to be more serious etc.)


I'm going to put this into sections, the first 5 being covers/titles that turned me off, but the books ended up being great, and the second 5 being titles/covers that were amazing but the book was not up to par. It's not exactly what the question is asking, but yeah... here it is:

1. City of Bones (Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare


When I first saw this in Barnes & Noble, the cover looked horrible. I like a half-naked guy as much as the next girl, but the yellow is... unsatisfactory. Needless to say, I was wrong about the cover and right about buying it.

2. Shade (Shade #1) by Jeri Smith-Ready


So you can't really tell from this picture, but I did not like the girl on the back. I think the thing that really intrigued me is the purple color, but besides that, I really don't know what drew me to this book. Yet, this is one of my all-time favorite series.

3. Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick


While I love the cover for this one, I hated the title. I saw it at Borders and there were no other cool-sounding books out, so I decided to pick it up. I even bought a signed one. And now, this is one of my favorite fallen angel series.

4. Stolen: A Letter to My Captor by Lucy Christopher


I was surprised by how much I loved this. The cover is just plain, but the story between the ugly cover is what really got my attention. This is one of the most heart-wrenching stories I've ever read.

5. Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout


I am so in love with this series, but the old covers (even the new covers) are kind of weird. I like who they have for Daemon, but I don't really like the model they have for Kate. At least covers mean nothing once you've read awesomeness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


6. A Great and Terrible Beauty (Gemma Doyle #1) by Libba Bray


I really love this cover, but I could never get into this series. I still haven't read any of her other stuff, but this series was really hard to get through for me. But the covers are amazing. Also, the titles of this series are very eye-catching.

7.  Carrier of the Mark (Carrier Trilogy #1) by Leigh Fallon


I still count this as one of the coolest covers. No only does it have that smoky blue dress, but it also feels different, like the material is slowly flaking off. But I did not like this book. This was a big let-down for me.

8. Graceling (Graceling Realm #1) by Kristin Cashore


The only reason I even bought this book was because of the cover. I didn't find myself enjoying it as much as I thought though. Fire, the companion novel, was much better, with a cover just as beautiful.

9. After Obsession by Carrie Jones & Steven E. Wedel


This was another big let-down. I adore this cover, but I'd heard pretty bad things about it. Luckily, Anna let me borrow it, and I'm glad I didn't pay money for it. Not worth the price of admission

10. The Goddess Test (The Goddess Test #1) by Aimee Carter


I got a signed copy of this in Michigan, but when I read it I was not very happy with the results. I felt really unattached to the main character and I wasn't involved enough. Luckily, the second book was much better, with another beautiful cover.


What do you guys think of my choices? Have there been any books that disappointed or surprised you because of the covers/titles? Let me know in the comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.