Sunday, April 15, 2012

Pandemonium (Delirium #2) by Lauren Oliver: review

Goodreads rating: 4.27
Hardcover, 375 pages
Published February 28th 2012 by Harper Teen (first published February 1st 2012)
Series: Delirium #2
Setting: New York City, New York (United States)
Source: Bought from Amazon, Signed

I’m pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.


Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite. 



I'm sorry for taking so long to get this review up. I've had a lot of blog tour stuff going on and other posts were much easier and fast to put up. In any case, this may be a shorter review because I've only just now had the chance to sit down and write it.

Pandemonium was much better than Delirium. I think it was because Lena herself was much stronger. She's thrown into this world that she'd been taught her whole life to hate and try to adapt to it. And it takes effort; a different kind of effort that she's not used to using, like muscles and diplomacy and the lot. Lena to me was much for believable in Pandemonium and I didn't find myself being annoyed by her. I'm "one of those people," the few people that didn't really like Delirium. Her debut novel, Before I Fall was amazing; I read it in one day. And when I read Pandemonium, I was expecting the same. I was let down, but Pandemonium did not let me down.

This next part is slightly spoilery if you haven't read the first book, just so you're warned. At the end of Delirium, we're led to believe that Alex is dead. He wasn't able to escape with her to the wild, and the last time she saw him he was being swarmed by the government. Lena has to start her whole life over again while still getting over Alex's death. I knew that there was going to be a new love interest in this one, but I couldn't figure out who (and for that reason I'm not going to use his name). As a reader, though, I wanted Lena to be happy. At that age, you can't mourn for someone without slipping up in this high-intensity world she's been thrown into. But what she wasn't prepared for was falling in love with someone else. It was difficult to gauge the two guys against each other since Alex isn't there and this other guy is only there for like half the book. But I really grew to love him too. And that ending!

I'm really glad to have stuck with this series. I read Delirium last summer (I have the original hardcover, not the new one) and was disappointed. But Lauren Oliver has redeemed herself. I can't wait to see what happens next even more than I did when the first one ended!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.