Monday, April 23, 2012

The Last Echo (The Body Finder #3) by Kimberly Derting

Goodreads: 4.31
Hardcover, 358 pages
Published April 17th 2012 by HarperCollins
Source: ARC tour

In the end, all that's left is an echo...
Violet kept her morbid ability to sense dead bodies a secret from everyone except her family and her childhood-best-friend-turned-boyfriend, Jay Heaton. That is until forensic psychologist Sara Priest discovered Violet's talent and invited her to use her gift to track down murderers. Now, as she works with an eclectic group of individuals—including mysterious and dangerously attractive Rafe—it's Violet's job to help those who have been murdered by bringing their killers to justice. When Violet discovers the body of a college girl killed by "the girlfriend collector" she is determined to solve the case. But now the serial killer is on the lookout for a new "relationship" and Violet may have caught his eye...




I'm always surprised by how much I enjoy myself with this series. I love these kind of mystery thriller CSI-with-a-twist-of-supernatural YA books. And I actually liked this one better than Desires of the Dead, the second book in the series. Why, you ask? Because of the killer. This killer was by far the creepiest one of the series, and the creepiest villain I've read in YA. It's one thing to know when you're crazy or horrible and continue to be that way, but it's a whole other thing to not know you're crazy so you keep doing what you do.

Derting has a finely-honed skill of perfectly getting inside the killers head and succeeding in freaking her readers out! I don't know if she just reads about serial killers or is besties with one or what, but she is able to be the killer, and that is so creepy. You almost feel bad for this killer. Often these kind of serial killers (AKA "collectors") have had bad childhoods, and it's revealed to us that this is also true for this serial killer. He's trying to copy someone from his past into these girls so that he'll get approval from said person (though this person has no idea that he's a killer). It's insane and intricate and just amazing. Well done, Derting.

Another element that was really brought to light in this one (besides the killer) was the agency that Violet now works for (basically a league of psychics) and how this affects her relationship with Jay and also with Raffe. It's so obvious that there are some weird, but not altogether unpleasant, physical and mental feelings between Violet and Raffe. One of the things I loved about this "love triangle" is that Derting addresses how, although Violet wanted to think that Raffe only wanted to be friends, she finally understood that that's not all he wanted. Finally, a YA heroine not playing ignorant! I'm really interested to see where this triangle is going to go, although I would have liked to see a lot more of Jay. I am so team Jay.

There are so many new elements to this book, and although it's sort of moved from the small-town feeling of the first and even second book, it was done extremely well and not abruptly. Things have been slowly building in this series and I'm on pins and needles! I can't wait to see what kind of killer she comes up with next. Derting is the queen of YA thriller for me.


2 comments:

  1. I didn't know these were mystery/thriller! I've seen the books but I figured a YA paranormal again. I'm def. more interested now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everything you said! Loved this book, tore through it in one sitting! If you haven't read Enthralled: Paranormal Diversions, you must read it. There is a short story in there by Kimberly Derting about Rafe.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.