Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Hunted Blog Tour Stop: Interview with the Author, Kristy Berridge


This is my second stop of this tour (you can find my review of The Hunted here), and I'm happy to feature the author of this awesome book, Kristy Berridge!
 

How did you come up with the idea for The Hunted?

I set myself a personal challenge about five years ago to write a vampire story that encompassed different types of supernatural characters, all of which didn’t apologize for who and what they were. I personally get sick of reading about tortured men and helpless heroines, so hopefully with The Hunted series I’ve achieved exactly what I set out to do – write something original and Moorish.

Did you have any issues or road blocks when you were writing Hunted?

The Hunted was a massive work in progress. It has been re-written and edited quite a few times, but once I figured out exactly where I wanted the series to end and the sort of journey I wanted the characters to take, the writing progressed quite quickly. I don’t think I’ll ever get tired of reading/writing about Elena, William, Lucas, and … Sebastian.

How many books are in The Hunted series and why did you decide to have this number for the series?

There are five books in The Hunted series. The second novel is called ‘The Damned’, due for release in the next few months. The third novel is called ‘The Aligned’, the forth ‘The Condemned’, and the fifth and final book is called ‘The Delivered’. I didn’t specifically set out to write five books, I just had a lot of depth within the plot that required further exploration. I wanted to keep my readers guessing all the way through the series, not just about the protagonist, but the supporting characters and the roles you may or may not assume they play …

When is book two coming out and what is it's title?

The Damned - it should be June/July, but don’t hold it against me if the editing takes a little more time. You can’t rush the spell check and grammar, we always miss something!!!!

I recently traveled to Cairns this last summer. Is there a reason you decided to set the book there, besides the fact that you're from Australia?

I read a lot of books and they are generally always set in the major capital cities well known and easily pictured by those who’ve visited or lived there. I figured, why not write about my home town? Why not assemble a thickening plot about my protagonist’s existence in this seemingly unsuspecting place and her reasons for constantly returning throughout the series despite her ventures overseas? The answer is simply … why not?

What kind of research did you have to do for The Hunted?

I didn’t have to do too much research for the first book as it is based in Cairns, Australia – a place I’m intimately familiar with. However, nearing thirty when I started writing the series, my much younger brothers quickly reminded me that I’m so not cool and that my choice of music references and sarcasm needed effort.

What's your experience with getting your novel published?

Writing a novel is easy, publishing is hard! I kid you not, I wrote The Hunted in six months and ploughed through the rest of the series in the following years. A part of me figured I’d submit my manuscript and someone would throw a briefcase of money at me. Um … yeah.
Well, truth be told, I got lucky. I did submit my manuscript to about twenty literary agents. I was knocked back by nearly all of them – too many authors currently on the books or something along those lines. Finally one of the agents contacted me, said she worked directly with a publishing house that was very interested in my novel. I sent it off to them for a manuscript assessment and it passed with flying colours. They signed me up straight away with the hopes of publishing all five of the novels within the next few years.

What are you working on now?

Right now I’m trying to get The Damned fully edited and ready for publication. After that, I’m planning on going back through book four and five and refine, refine, refine. Then if I’m lucky I can start working on the next series, possibly even a spin off.

What are your favorite books of 2012 so far?

Okay, I have no idea what books are newly released. I suck like that. But, I have been mad keen on a few Kindle reads at the moment by indie authors. I’ve enjoyed ‘Frost Arch’ by Kate Bloomfied and Ember by a friend of mine, Madison Daniel. Ooh and Richelle Mead’s ‘Bloodlines’ – I love pretty much anything she writes.


Thanks so much for the interview Kristy! You guys should definitely check this book out. It's totally worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.