Saturday, April 21, 2012

Dreamless (Starcrossed #2) by Josephine Angelini: review

Goodreads rating: 4.40
Hardcover, 487 pages
Expected publication: May 29th 2012 by HarperTeen
Source: ARC Tour 
As the only Scion that can enter Hades at will, Helen descends to the Underworld in search of a way to overcome the Furies and end the cycle of revenge that has cursed the Scions. But she’s running out of time. Each descent weakens her both in mind and spirit. A mysterious stranger might be her only salvation, but the price may be her love for Lucas Delos.

As an unforgettable love triangle emerges, Josephine Angelini’s compelling saga becomes ever more intricate and spellbinding. The eagerly awaited sequel to the internationally bestselling Starcrossed, Dreamless delivers with a huge emotional impact that will leave readers satisfied—and longing for more.





NOTE: I've decided to put my ratings at the bottom of my reviews now. That way, I'm not starting you off with any preconceived notions (although you could just skip down to the bottom and see the rating, but that would not  be cool).

I was kind of surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Just like with Delirium, I'm one of "those people," AKA I didn't like Starcrossed as much as I wanted to but everyone loved it. I'd actually just finished reading Starcrossed right after Divergent, and while these were two totally different books, I wish I would have waited a couple days after the awesomeness that is Divergent or read Starcrossed before it. I didn't feel at all connected with Helen, and she was whiny and annoying and superficial. I didn't get what Lucas saw in her. But Helen was much stronger in Dreamless and I really felt like I connected with her. There was also a lot more at stake and the possibility of a love triangle...

This had much of the same mythology, but really focused this time on the Underworld, and I learned things I hadn't know before. I knew there were other rivers in the Underworld besides the River Styx, but I had no idea what6 they stood for. Angelini did a great job with this. As I said earlier, I felt more connected with Helen this time around, and her feelings in the Underworld always seemed to be amplified. This may have had something to do with Orion... And Ares was super creepy! Apparently he was trapped in the Underworld by the Scions (AKA Halfbloods) and has basically gone crazy. But he isn't the only one after Helen. Some pissed off ancient warrior is out to get her too, and is ordered by some unknown backer to kill her. Because there is a prophecy, and Helen isn't the one it involves.

I did not believe in this triangle. I couldn't see what Helen saw in Orion, and as she herself brought up, they barely knew each other. There are times where she said she could see herself with Orion, and then would later say how much she loved Lucas in gushing detail that greatly overshadowed an love (lust) she could have felt for Orion. I just didn't find myself falling in love with Orion from Helen's point of view, no matter how much of a sweetheart he is. I felt horrible for Lucas and Helen. There was one thing that still nags at me about this series, and that is that in the first book we're told that Lucas and Helen are first cousins, but then a scene later, we're told that they were lied to and the only other person that knows dies. It would have been so much better to have kept it from us, but my heart still ached for them.

This was a great second book compared to the first. Definitely worth the read!


7 comments:

  1. I didn't enjoy the first one either, it wasn't... that interesting, it was mediocre, not at all what i expected. But i'm curious about this one though... I'm not sure when i'll read it.
    Hope you enjoyed reading it ^^

    Ella
    Read Into Hiding

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't like the first one AT ALL. One star. And now there's going to be a love triangle? I hate love triangles! I am dreading reading my ARC :(

    Emily@Emily's Crammed Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an awesome series I seriously have to find time for the first one! Also, you changed your blog banner! it looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The plot was definitely something I enjoyed, because I love mythology and this is a part of it that I was not as familiar with. In high school, I had always found a way to just pick up SparkNotes or avoid reading The Illiad and The Odyssey completely. Now...I want to go back and pick those up to help give myself a little more context. Even though the stories of Greek mythology are complex and odd sometimes, the author really helped my understanding by allowing the characters to give Helen a quick run-down on the mythology that was most relevant to her.

    The characters were definitely well developed and even though Hector was a super aggressive pain in the side most of the time, I actually really liked him a lot. Lucas on the other hand was perfect from the very beginning. His protective nature (for his family and Helen) was incredibly endearing, and the fact that one of his talents is flying is...well...freaking awesome! I love that Helen can too, because being grounded while your love muffin soars all over Nantucket and the world, would be a huge bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually really enjoyed Starcrossed and I just LOVED this book!! (Although I did not enjoy Delirium much either, Pandemonium was amazing and my favorite read of 2012)
    I felt that this was actually one of the ONLY love triangles that actually works! I could totally see the appeal of Orion, especially since Lucas was avoiding her at the time. I think Josie Angelini revealed the fact that they weren't cousins to us so we wouldn't be disturbed by the fact that Helen and Lucas still liked each other.
    Despite our conflicting pov's, this is a good review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed Starcrossed even though I can see how Helen came off as kind of a pain to some folks. I hadn't read any reviews beforehand, just saw the high ratings so I went for it. I didn't rush out to buy Dreamless, but I definitely have my eye on it. I love Lucas and was disappointed to find out he's going to have competition in the second book. Hopefully Orion makes the read worthwhile. I'm hoping for a happy ending with Helen and Lucas in the end though. Thanks for the review! It doesn't sound like I'll be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very very very good!! I absolutely loved it and can't wait till the next book!!! She's an amazing writer! :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.