Monday, April 30, 2012

Destined (Wings #4) by Aprilynne Pike: review

Goodreads rating: 4.42
Hardcover, 320 pages
Expected publication: May 1st 2012 by HarperCollins
Series: Wings #4
Source: ARC tour

Tamani looked at her gravely, and reached up to tuck her hair behind her ear.

He hesitated for an instant, then his hands found the sides of her face, pulling her to him. He didn't kiss her, just held her face close to his, their foreheads resting together, their noses almost touching.

She hated how much it felt like good-bye.


Laurel now knows the truth: Yuki is a rare Winter faerie, the most powerful—and deadly—of all, and Klea plans to use her to help conquer and destroy Avalon. But Klea's reach extends far beyond one wild Winter faerie. With Tamani, David, and Chelsea by her side, Laurel prepares to face what may be Avalon's final days, in the stunning conclusion to the Wings series.
I'll be the first to admit that I didn't really enjoy the first book in the series. I was bored and the writing was okay, and I'm so NOT Team David (really, I don't know anyone that is). But Pike's writing style has truly grown throughout this series, and I'm surprised to say that I'm sad to see it go. This series isn't just about fae magic and the love triangle, but it's also about friendship and trust. It's about doing what's right, even if you end up getting hurt in the process. I may have been unsure about this series at first, but this final installment was non-stop action and I could not stop reading it!

I literally read this behind my backpack during my World Lit class because I had to know what happened. Destined begins right where Illusions leaves off, with finding out that innocent Yuki is in fact an all-powerful winter faerie who's being used by the even more dangerous Klea. But Klea is an outcast from Avalon, and a dang good potion maker. Needless to say, she's got some tricks up her sleeves, but so do Laurel, Tamani, and yes, even David. There was seriously no time to break in this book, whether it was with the romance or with trolls devastating the faery population. And not everyone comes out unscathed; even characters we've grown to love. There are a few twists that I really loved, but in the end, I got what I came for when I continued this series. You can interpret that however you'd like.

So of course I must speak about the romance! Like I said, I have never even considered being Team David. I mean, he's sweet and kind of a total dork (which I definitely get), but comparing him against the broody protective Tamani is just unfair. I think it's obvious that David and Laurel are over (especially after that scene in the cabin from Illusions...mmmmm), so I'll go on speaking as if they are over. I don't think you can quite comprehend how happy I was that she didn't end up with David. I think I would have stopped reading the book and simply sent it to the next reader because that would have been it for me. While I ended up caring about what happened to Avalon by the end, I may not have gotten to that point if Laurel was obviously going to end up with David. Luckily, Chelsea made a sort of move and squashed that. As a side note, the letter at the very end is so heartbreaking. As much as I knew David was never right for Laurel, I did fall in love with him a little and that letter made my heart ache.

If you're considering whether or not to read the final book in this series, you won't be disappointed. I'll hopefully be meeting Aprilynne again (this will be the 3rd time) some time in July with Veronica Roth, and I can't wait to tell her how much I loved this book!


1 comment:

  1. Lol you read this in class! I used to do that all the time! I haven't read this series yet but since I keep seeing all the reviews for this one I'm getting super curious about it!!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.