Thursday, April 26, 2012

Blogger Confessions (1)


Hi everyone! This is my first time doing the new meme, Blogger Confessions. Most people do a variation of these kind of posts, and it's mostly to give other book bloggers insight to certain aspects of the "job". Today is more about any book reviewer, not specifically only about book bloggers.

When you're "one of those people"

Do you ever read a book and think that is was mediocre or didn't like it at all, but pretty much everyone LOVED it and can't stop praising it? I hate being one of those people. You can't find anyone to vent about it, because they're all like, "it was the best book ever and there was nothing wrong with it and there must be something wrong with you!" Yeah, there was a lot wrong with it, not me. The big problem is that it doesn't live up to my expectations and the insane hype, so I end up being let down. And because everyone loves it, I almost don't feel right about posting a bad review. To bring my point across, I'm going to put myself out there and tell you what books I did not like that everyone seemed to love.

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

This is one of the worst ones for me with hearing how great it was. I did not like it. I read it last summer just before my blog got started and I still haven't posted my review on it here from Goodreads. When I first started blogging I was afraid to write any bad reviews, because then people might think I'm a negative person and therefore not follow my blog. Her first novel, Before I Fall was amazing and I wanted to read it as soon as I finished, but I felt like with Delirium that she was trying too hard.

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

There isn't a lot of fantasy out there, and maybe if I read this now I would like it more, but this is one of the first young adult books I've read, and the fact that this strong heroine gave up her virginity in the first book (I assumed it was a normal series) was just too weird for me. Fire, the companion book to this one, was phenomenal to me because again there was a strong heroine but the romance was different. It's another reason I'm not excited for Bitterblue, since it's the sequel to Graceling.

Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

I read this right after reading Divergent by Veronica Roth. I don't know if this had something to do with me not liking it, but I just could not get into it. I didn't like Helen. She was bland and boring and annoying and I didn't really buy her love story with Lucas. I admit that I love Greek mythology (although it's so overdone), and the story of Helen and Paris is a beautiful and heartbreaking story, but I just wasn't invested in the story. Luckily, Dreamless was better, and even Angelini said herself when I met her that she thought Dreamless was better as well. Although, I did put my review of this one up on my blog.

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa

Everyone loves Julie Kagawa. And I do now too. But when I read the first book in the Iron Fey series, I so did not like it and I couldn't understand why everyone thought it was totally amazing. I love faery books, especially when they're well done, but this first one was not as good as I'd hoped it'd be. Luckily, Kagawa's writing got better. I may even reread the series some time if I'm able to find time. But this first one was a pretty bog disappointment for me.

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor

A lot of people picked this one for their best book of last year. And while I didn't dislike it, I had this preconceived notion of awesomeness, and I was really let down. Her writing is brilliant and she is super sweet and funny and a little quirky. There was so much intrigue and romance, but that wasn't the problem. My main issue with this book was the going back in time part. I felt like it was too jolting. I was so invested in the first part of the story, and then like a third of the book is a flashback. While I enjoyed it, I couldn't wait to get back to the present, but by that time, I had kind of lost interest. Another review I posted on my blog.

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand

Okay, so this isn't really that big of a letdown. The only letdown of this first book was that, in my mind, Claire did not pick the right guy. I am Team Christian all the way (which is why I absolutely adored Hallowed) and so when she was with Tucker most of the book, it really affected my thoughts of this book. Cynthia is a sweetheart and this is series has definitely gotten better for me, but Unearthly was a disappointment in the love department. But, of course, everyone loved the first one and Tucker as well, so I was in the minority. If I had finished the review, I would have posted it, but it was before my blogging days.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

I will admit that I enjoyed the love story and there was a lot of mystery. But it came to a point where there was too much mystery, and I really had to idea what was going on. It couldn't hold my interest. This one isn't as big of a deal, because I really did enjoy the book, but by the end I really didn't know what had happened. I did post my review of this one, but I'm not sure if I brought up my confusion or not. Some things need time to sink in.


I guess the whole point of this post is don't be afraid to post up a "bad" review of a book just because everyone else out there loves it. People will appreciate your honesty, and while they might not agree with you, they respect your opinion. And if they don't, you don't want them as a blog follower anyway. I'm sure I've chased a few people away with my reviews, but it's worth getting your opinion out there. Publishers and authors, while I'm sure they love 5-star reviews, would rather hear what you really have to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.