Saturday, March 17, 2012

Partials (Partials #1) by Dan Wells: review

Goodreads rating: 4.05
Hardcover, 1st Edition, 472 pages
Published February 28th 2012 by Balzer + Bray
Series: Partials #1
Setting: Long Island
 Humanity is all but extinguished after a war with partials--engineered organic beings identical to humans--has decimated the world’s population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island. The threat of the partials is still imminent, but, worse, no baby has been born immune to the disease in over a decade. Humanity’s time is running out.

When sixteen-year-old Kira learns of her best friend’s pregnancy, she’s determined to find a solution. Then one rash decision forces Kira to flee her community with the unlikeliest of allies. As she tries desperately to save what is left of her race, she discovers that the survival of both humans and partials rests in her attempts to answer questions of the war’s origin that she never knew to ask.

Combining the fast-paced action of The Hunger Games with the provocative themes of Battlestar Galactica, Partials is a pulse-pounding journey into a world where the very concept of what it means to be human is in question--one where our sense of humanity is both our greatest liability, and our only hope for survival.
I was not expecting to love this as much as I did. I’d heard from more than a few people that it was lacking in the romance department (and I can’t say enough how I need my romance), but Partials was a wonderful surprised, with action that never stopped and made you question what you believe is moral. What helped me is that there were traces of a romance: the dying one between Keira and Marcus, and the possible fling between Keira and Samm. Once Keira finds out more about who she is, she’s not certain about anything, except that she needs to know more.

There was a lot of medical jargon. Thankfully, I’ve taken college-level biology and high school physiology, so I understood a good amount of it. That would be my only warning with this novel; it’s not for younger high school kids because they simply wouldn’t be able to understand most of the medical breakthrough’s that Keira makes. Dan Wells obviously did his research. This book also has a comedic element to it, which took me by surprise. I guess I don’t expect dystopian writers to be funny, but those little moments were a kind of relief. It also made me love Marcus. He so obviously loved Keira, but Keira is what you might call a free spirit. This annoyed me. A lot. But that’s what made her a great character. She wasn’t just going to sit back and take it. And even though she kind of dragged her friends into it all, it’s what she thought was right.

When I started this book, I was immediately reminded of Terminator. The humans made these half-human-half-machines, Partials, to basically fight a war for them. Needless to say, just like in Terminator, this did not turn out well. But instead of the Partials turning on the humans, they spread a virus that they were immune to, but was deadly to most humans. For those who survived, you’d think this would make a nearly perfect world (no sarcasm intended). The stores remain intact but unmanned. All the clothes in the stores are left, so people just take what they want. This takes place in New York, so you can imagine the awesomeness of that! The biggest problem: every baby that’s born since after the disease dies from it. They’re not immune, and the human race is dying. That’s why Keira will do anything to find a cure. Anything.

I can’t wait to see what happens next! Again, this was a pleasant surprise. And now that Keria isn’t who she thought she was, she’s off to get answers from the last place you’d expect Definitely worth a read.

1 comment:

  1. I want to read this one so badly! And this review just made me want it even more! :)

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.