Saturday, March 24, 2012

The Hunger Games: A Movie Review & What to Read After


A quick note before we start: In case you didn't notice, I did NOT do an IMM this week (can't remember the last time this happened). In an earlier post, I mentioned how my computer got a Trojan virus (the worst of the worst), and I don't want to take any chances of my camera getting corrupted when I try to download the photos from the USB cable. Next week, though, will be a two-week compilation IMM.

My thoughts on The Hunger Games


I just got back from seeing The Hunger Games this afternoon, and I'm sure most of you are off to see it either tonight or tomorrow. And it went far beyond my expectations. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time (not literally because that would be annoying) even thought I already knew what was going to happen. At first, though, I was a little apprehensive:

I was actually pretty excited for this first installment. I gave the whole series a 4/5, but my rating for the first book was 4.5/5. The only thing I was really fearing was that the acting would be as bad as it was in Twilight. I feel like the acting in these young-adult-books-turned-movies has forever been tainted because of Twilight, and that was really my only apprehension. But I was wrong, it was AMAZING!! What I'm not as excited about is the two after this one. Check out the review I linked above to see why.

There were some minor differences that I won't share and honestly don't remember. But it was really well done. My boyfriend even liked it, so props to the movie-makers. There was a good amount of shaky camera work, but it really set the mood. The scenes at the capital were never like this, but whenever Katniss was in danger (which is, let's be honest, most of the movie) it gave you a sense of being there. Another huge surprise for me was how well Josh Hutchinson played Peeta. I haven't seen too much potential in him, but he really stepped it up. He absolutely stole the show. Seriously, go see this movie, even if you haven't read the book. I'm kind of hoping that the movie people will find a way to make Catching Fire and Mockingjay better...

But I know that a lot (and I mean A LOT) of people loved this series, so I've compiled a list of what to read after the awesomeness of The Hunger Games! Obviously most of them are dystopian.

My top 5 TBRAHG (TBR After Hunger Games):

1. Divergent (Divergent #1) by Veronica Roth


Divergent by Veronica Roth


The obvious choice here. There's the same action in The Hunger Games but it's completely different. And the romance is much better than THG.

2. Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) by Tahereh Mafi


Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi


The writing is absolutely breath-taking, and the romance is so addicting. There is nothing like this book, not just in YA but anywhere. If you haven't read this book, DO IT!

3. Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer


Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer


This is my favorite book of this year so far. Not only is it a dystopian but it's also a fairytale retelling. I also listened to the audio of this one and loved it even more.

4. Blood Red Road (Dustlands #1) by Moira Young


Dustlands by Moira Young


This was a surprise for me. When I first started reading it, I wondered if I could get past the strange writing. Now it's one of my favorite dystopians ever.

5. Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky #1) by Veronica Rossi


Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi


I'd heard good things about this one but I was still surprised by how much I liked it. It was very unique and had a few interesting elements to it that were unexpected but awesome.


The rest of my suggestions are ones I enjoyed but aren't my favorite. These are in a sort of order, with the ones that interested me more near the top:


What do you guys think? Have you read any of these? Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.