Sunday, March 25, 2012

Audiobook Review: Cinder (Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer


 Goodreads rating: 4.11
Narrator: Rebecca Soler
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published January 3rd 2012 by Macmillan Audio
Edition language: English
Characters: Kai, Cinder
A wicked mash-up of fairy tale and Terminatorset in a Star Wars kind of world—Marissa Meyer's Cinder is a fresh and fiercely ingenious futuristic retelling of Cinderella


Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. . . .

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

AUDIOBOOK RATING: 
As you all know, I fell in love with Cinder when I first read an ARC of it that I borrowed from Anna at Literary Exploration. Then I did that whole Cinder Sunday thing, and then someone from Macmillan Audio contacted me about reading my review and asking me to post a clip of the audiobook (which you can find on my review of the novel HERE). I was so impressed by the clip that when she asked me if I would like some audiobooks to review, Cinder was at the top of my list. It was my first experience with an audiobook, and I wasn't sure if I was going to like it. Some people enjoy them, some people don't. And I didn't know when I was going to find the time to listen to it. A found a thrilling solution to all of these things and fell in love with audiobooks.

The voice was a little hard to get used to. It's strange someone telling you what's going on: describing places and people and emotions to you. But I think Rebecca did a great job of capturing the emotion of the book. I love this book somehow even more now after listening to the audio. It was also strange when she had to do different voices (there seem to be SO many characters she had to do) but she pulled it off really well and most of the time I could tell who was talking even without her having to say their name. While she can't perfectly nail every voice, she got the part where all the leaders of the world are speaking together pretty down pat. I was impressed.

Now, this is still the only audiobook I've listened to, so this may just be an anomaly and it'll turn out that audiobooks aren't my thing. But I really enjoyed listening to it in my car on the way to school and back and on random road trips. You should definitely give audiobooks a try if you haven't yet. I definitely enjoyed myself and it was well-done.

2 comments:

  1. I've listened to a few audiobooks and Cinder is one of the best I've heard. I'm glad this one was your first. I enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh I LOVE LOVE LOVE audiobooks, I am listening to Requiem right now :)

    I listened to Cinder again before I started Scarlet. I am glad you enjoyed it! Scarlet was well done too, I actually finished the book but what to listen to the story again via audiobook.

    Ashley @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.