Friday, February 17, 2012

Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky #1) by Veronica Rossi: review

Goodreads rating: 4.22
Hardcover, US, 374 pages
Published January 3rd 2012 by Harper Collins
Characters: Aria, Perry
Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.
5/5

Before I dived into this one, I’d heard nothing but good things. But for some reason I was still apprehensive. I wasn’t sure where Under the Never Sky would fit into the YA dystopian genre. Despite my resignations, I fell in love with this book! My blogger bestie Anna from Literary Exploration graciously bought me a copy and got it signed by the author! It even says happy birthday, because the signing was on my birthday last month. It was worth the wait.

The romance was perfect. Thank you, Veronica Rossi, for not having the two characters hold that immediate attraction, which on most cases blooms into full-on obsession. Aria and Perry did NOT like each other when they first met. He was a dirty, wild Outsider to her, and she was from Reverie, where the government still rules in these domes and tells people that if they breathe the air outside they will die. After Aria is betrayed, she must find a way to survive the outside world. But Aria and Perry have already met. He saved her from dying in a fire that burned one of the vegetation domes (think Bio-dome, but without the lesser Baldwin brother and Polly Shore), and Perry blames her from having to leave his tribe. And for losing his nephew to the government. But it turns out these two completely opposite people need each other.

The story was unbelievable. I’m still unsure why the one boy is like the lightning that seers the land. I know I’m being cryptic, but it’s hard to say anything about this book without giving the story away. The synopsis doesn’t tell you enough! It was so hard for me to put this down. The addition of the cannibals was interesting. Aria has a run-in with them, and Perry saves her from being eaten. Which means that, not only are they trying to find a place where she can get her eyepiece to work again (for both of their uses), but now they have dozens of cannibals on their tails. This book was non-stop action, and once the romance started going it was so hard to stop. I loved every minute of it.

This is definitely on my list of favorites for the year so far. If you’re looking for another dystopian to add to your list, definitely pick this up. Even if dystopian isn’t your thing, it almost seems like this takes place on a whole other world, so it’s almost like action-packed fantasy with a heart-breaking romance. And the cover is even awesomer in person! Another great addition to the HarperTeen family that has taken refuge on at least one row of my bookshelf.

2 comments:

  1. Did it make your heart hurt?!?!?! IT made my heart PHYSICALLY HURT! I loved the ending though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this! I'm gonna buy it within the week, tomorrow or on Friday perhaps! I'm just SO freaking excited to read this!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.