Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books That Broke Your Heart A Little


 I’m taking part in Top Ten Tuesday hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Every Tuesday the lovelies at The Broke and the Bookish post their top ten lists on various bookish topics.Apparently, this week's is supposed to be an anti-Valentine's day theme. I have a wonderful boyfriend, but for those of you who are looking for some heartbreaking books, here's my Top Ten (they'll make your life seem like heaven):





1. Anything by Nicholas Sparks

 
 None of us are really willing to admit it, but despite the over-the-topness of his books, they make you cry every time. Whether they're in movie form or not, he will get a tear out of you somehow. He's a true master at breaking people's hearts. There will never be another writer that can break you quite like Nicholas Sparks can.

2. Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver


I remember when I first read this book. I read it in nearly one sitting (it's not a short book) and once I'd finished I wanted to turn back and read it again. Actually, after reading a couple books, I did. I even cried with this book, because there's so much growth and all this hope. If you haven't read Lauren Oliver's first book, please do.

3. The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson


Mix together the untimely death of a loved but secret-keeping older sister, the dead sister's boyfriend who has nowhere else to turn, and the music-playing new guy at school that's obviously in love with you. I've said before that this is one of my favorite contemporaries EVER, and for good reason. This book absolutely broke me. Again, there was crying. So worth it.

4. Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler


As always, there was a death. This time, it was her best friend's brother, who was also her boyfriend. These two best friends take a vacation with the family to California, and make a few mistakes. This book is about moving on, but a lot has to come to fruition before that can happen. While I don't remembering crying, I at least came close.

5. The Girl Next Door by Selene Castroville


This book was so heartbreaking it almost seems unfair. My heart felt horrible--weighed down--with each page turned. Samantha (Sam) has been in love with her best friend, Jesse, forever. But Jesse is going to die from a tumor now, if they don't find a cure. And she's the only person he'll see. I can't talk about it too much... it still hurts.

6. Stolen by Lucy Christopher


I really enjoyed this one. I think the only reason I see it as heartbreaking is how the kidnapper justified taking her, and how she came to a certain realization far too late. It was really ending that broke my heart. It's a tough book to read, but I'm glad I got a chance to read it.

7. Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins


While I know this is meant to be a light contemporary, there were some parts that broke my heart and I definitely cried at those parts. This is my favorite contemporary author, and I'll read anything she writes, but, behind the humor and lights of Paris, this was a pretty heavy contemporary at times.

8. The Girl of Fire and Thorns by Rae Carson


Now you wouldn't think a paranormal book could be on the same level of heartbreak of these other books, but this one is. This book starts out with the main character living very comfortably with very few problems. By the end, she's lived through so much, and you get the feeling that it's just going to get worse. This is one of the most heartbreaking paranormal novels I've ever read.

9. The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare


Originally for #9, I had only put Clockwork Prince, because that was the most heartbreaking so far of all her books. But to be honest, both series have completely and utterly shattered my heart. I've never cried over Cassie's books, but my heart has certainly taken a beating with what I feel for these characters. It's not fair how she can do this to her readers every book in both her series.

10. The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold


Before I picked up this book, it had gotten so many mixed reviews. But I really wanted to read it before I saw the movie, and it surprised me by how much it broke my heart. Nothing is worse than watching the people you love hurt but moving on without you, and realizing the life you could have had. And that your killer runs free. The writing was a little off-kilter, but that didn't keep this book from hurting.

2 comments:

  1. Great books but I have to add The Fault In Our Stars to the list! Heartbreaking yet beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I always expect to cry when I pick up/watch Nicholas Sparks. So heartbreaking!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.