Sunday, February 12, 2012

Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout: review

Goodreads rating: 4.45
Paperback, First, 266 pages
Published December 6th 2011 by Entangled Publishing

Series: Lux #1

Characters: Katy, Daeman
Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring…. until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something…unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don’t kill him first, that is.


5/5

I wasn’t surprised by how much I loved this book. If anything, I was waiting to be let down in some way. Not even close. This met my expectations and gave me so much more. Now I understand the hype. Not only that, but the main character is a book blogger!

Who writes books about aliens? Jennifer L. Armentrout does! But seriously, there aren’t that many out there in general, and even less in YA. I honestly can’t even think of one, and the only one that really comes to mind is Douglas Adams’ Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. But instead of humans going to space, aliens have come here. And they live among us posing as humans.

The first meeting between Katy and Daemon (our out-of-this-world gorgeous love interest) doesn’t go so well. He’s shirtless, which can easily tongue-tie a girl when he’s tan and muscley. On top of that, he’s a total ass hat and makes Katy feel like a fool. I loved seeing his POV from their first meeting in the back of the book. Just priceless. Daemon obviously wants nothing to do with her. Or does he? He saves her life more than once (though it’s arguable that without him it wouldn’t have happened in the first place), and neither of them can deny their connection.

The small bits of alien information (especially about Daemon’s brother) and the relationships between the other aliens (and Katy and Daemon’s sister, whose name escapes me) really brought together the story. I loved how the aliens were all light, but can take on the shape of a human. As Katy said, Daemon picked his skin right. The guy on the cover looks delicious… but enough of that. Their relationship was the perfect one for me. I’ve been reading all these YA novels lately where they say I love you in the first book! That is unacceptable to me. Oppositely, Obsidian had a slowly growing romance that came to a boil and cooled down, then came to a boil and cooled down again. Now Katy is really the only one making it complicated. I can’t wait to see Daemon have to work to gain her affections. This is going to be good.

I am in love with this series already, and I get the feeling Onyx is going to be even better! Absolutely give this book a try. It’s cheaper to get it as an e-book, but I love my actual copy. I cannot wait for Onyx. I’ve literally read the teasers a zillion times!

4 comments:

  1. I have heard nothing but good things about this book! I love sci-fi and I enjoy a cute romance, but rarely do they go hand-in-hand. I love that everyone says the romance builds up slowly, and yes, the guy on the cover is yummy! I tried to find this at the library and they didn't have it! Your review just made me more determined!
    Lauren @ Hughes Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH HELL YES!!!!! I loved this book SO MUCH!!!! UGH!!! i cant wait for Onyx and Shadows!!!! man!!!!!! great review!!!!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kit just moved in a new town, where strange things happen. Her twin neighbours Daemon and Dee look like fashion models and she becomes BFF's with the twin girl. When she discovers the truth about them not being normal, things start rolling and Kit has to fight for her life together with Daemon, the boy she hates, but actually likes. Is their passion and heat strong enough to be together?

    A very nice paranormalcy read with sparkling, electric romance!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As soon as I finished Obsidian, I downloaded Onyx and settled in for another late night. I'd love to see some more plot development in the coming books in the series. If you take Daemon and Katy, and add some plot twists and something that keeps me on the edge of my seat.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.