Thursday, February 16, 2012

In My Mailbox (27)

In My Mailbox is a meme hosted by Kristi over at The Story Siren, where you create a post of the books you either received in the mail, bought at a bookstore, or borrowed from the library. Also, Thursday is now my new IMM day, instead of Tuesday.


NOTE: If you're unfamiliar with how I do things with my IMM, I basically give a little back story to the books I have pictured. Also, if there are ARC's, I'll give a synopsis and date published.


BOUGHT

~Hourglass (Hourglass #1) by Myra McEntire: I've been hearing amazing things about this series, especially the main character, since she was in the YA Heroine Tourney. It sounds really interesting, and I love that cover! I will be reviewing this one.

~Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles #1) by Jessica Spotswood: There are many reasons I bought this book. I got it so soon because I'm going to a signing with her and 3 other authors later this month. The cover is amazing, I need to read a good witch book because the few I've read haven't been so great, and it's on my DAC list for this year! Needless to say, I will be reviewing this one.

FOR REVIEW

~The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1) by Julie Kagawa: When I read the first book in Kagawa's Iron Fey series, I was not impressed. But as I continued with the series, they got better and better, and I was totally in love with the final book, The Iron Knight. I'm pretty stoked for this new series from her. I will be reviewing this one. And a special thanks to Harlequin Teen and Lisa Wray!

PUBLICATION DATE: April 24th

You will kill. The only question is when.

In the dark days since the insidious Red Lung virus decimated the human population, vampires have risen to rule the crumbling cities and suburbs. Uncontested Princes hold sway over diminished ranks of humans: their "pets." In exchange for their labor, loyalty and of course, their blood, these pets are registered, given food and shelter, permitted to survive.

Unregistered humans cling to fringes, scavenging for survival. Allison Sekemoto and her fellow Unregistereds are hunted, not only by vampires, but by rabids, the unholy result of Red Lung-infected vampires feeding on unwary humans. One night, Allie is attacked by a pack of rabids, saved by an unlikely hero...and turned vampire.

Uncomfortable in her undead skin, Allie falls in with a ragtag crew of humans seeking a cure, or cures: for Rabidism and for Vampirism. She's passing for human...for now. But the hunger is growing and will not be denied. Not for friendship—not even for love.

~The Girl in the Clockwork Collar (Steampunk Chronicles #2) by Kady Cross: This came as an awesome surprise with the copy of The Immortal Rules from Harlequin Teen. I've read pretty great things about this series; I guess I'll just have to buy the first one now! Ooooh and I can put this on my SRC list! I will be reviewing this one.

PUBLICATION DATE: May 22nd (says June on copy)

In New York City, 1897, life has never been more thrilling - or dangerous.

Sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne and her "straynge band of mysfits" have journeyed from London to America to rescue their friend Jasper, hauled off by bounty hunters. But Jasper is in the clutches of a devious former friend demanding a trade-the dangerous device Jasper stole from him...for the life of the girl Jasper loves.

One false move from Jasper and the strange clockwork collar around Mei's neck tightens. And tightens.


~The Raft by S.A. Bodeen: A special thanks to Macmillan Children's Publishing and NetGalley!

PUBLICATION DATE: August 23rd

Robie, 15, lives with her family on the Midway atoll, a group of islands in the middle of the Pacific. Her parents are scientists; it’s an isolated life. Robie enjoys visiting her aunt in Hawaii – she gets back and forth on a cargo plane that brings supplies to Midway.

During a visit, her aunt is called to the mainland for a work emergency, leaving Robie to get home on her own. On her flight back to Midway the cargo plane hits nasty weather, and goes down. It’s just Robie, the pilot, and Max, a co-pilot she’s never met till this flight, on board. Robie is pulled aboard a raft by Max, who is injured and slipping in and out of consciousness. They have a bag of candy and very little water between them. When they finally reach an island that seems abandoned, Robie hopes they’ll be found quickly. But she’s not sure she was even on the flight manifest. Her parents must be looking for her…aren’t they?

In THE RAFT, S.A. Bodeen creates a hair-raising suspense story that will have readers agonizing over the same question as Robie -- how long can they survive?


~Magic Under Stone (Magic Under #2) by Jaclyn Dolamore: I really need to read the first one now :/ A special thanks to Bloomsbury Publishing and NetGalley!

PUBLICATION DATE: April 10th

For star-crossed lovers Nimira and Erris, there can be no happily ever after until Erris is freed from the clockwork form in which his soul is trapped. And so they go in search of the sorcerer Ordorio Valdana, hoping he will know how to grant Erris real life again. When they learn that Valdana has mysteriously vanished, it's not long before Nimira decides to take matters into her own hands—and begins to study the sorcerer's spell books in secret. Yet even as she begins to understand the power and limitations of sorcery, it becomes clear that freeing Erris will bring danger—if not out-and-out war—as factions within the faerie world are prepared to stop at nothing to prevent him from regaining the throne.


 ~Gift by Andrea J. Buchanan: A special thanks to Open Road Publishing and NetGalley!


PUBLICATION DATE: March 27th

High school sophomore Daisy Jones is just trying to get by unnoticed. It doesn't help that she's the new girl at school, lives in a trailer park, and doesn't even own a cell phone. But there's a good reason for all that: Daisy has a secret, unpredictable power-one only her best friend, Danielle, knows about. Despite her "gift" (or is it a curse?), Daisy's doing a good job of fitting in-and a cute senior named Kevin even seems interested in her! But when Daisy tries to help Vivi, a mysterious classmate in a crisis, she soon discovers that her new friend has a secret of her own. Now Daisy and her friends must deal with chilling dreams and messages from the beyond. Can Daisy channel the power she's always tried to hide-before it's too late? Extra features include:
A short graphic novel illustrated by Alexis Seabrook, telling Vivi's story
Danielle's journal, revealing her deepest thoughts.


~The Moonstone Series (Unbidden Magic #1-3) by Marilee Brothers: I've always been interested in this series, and now I have a copy of all 3! A special thanks to Bell Bridge Books and NetGalley!




~Ghost Crown (The Tracks #2) by J. Gabriel Gates: I own a copy of the first book, so now I have a good reason to get started. A special thanks to HCI Publishing and NetGalley!

PUBLICATION DATE: June 5th

After their harrowing adventures, Middleburg's teens are hoping life will return to normal. Despite a tentative alliance between the goth Flatliners and the rich, preppie Toppers, any hope of peace is dashed when Topper girl Aimee arrives at the homecoming dance with Raphael, a Flatliner. A fight erupts between the two gangs and, in the midst of the rumble, a bizarre catastrophe occurs when Middleburg's homecoming queen discovers she has supernatural powers.
To make matters worse, Middleburg real-estate moguls who have bought up most of the land in the Flats have started evicting their tenants. They are searching for a priceless treasure prophesied in ancient Chinese writings and will stop at nothing to find it. But Raphael and his impoverished Flatliners vow to get it first and use it buy back their homes. Meanwhile, a handsome, charismatic half-angel, half-human comes to Middleburg with plans to steal Aimee from Raphael. As Raphael and his Flatliners and Zhai and his Toppers work to perfect their supernatural abilities and find the treasure, Aimee begins kung fu training, intent on becoming strong enough to locate and rescue her missing mother. When she discovers that the mysterious treasure may be the key to finding her mom, the race to find it intensifies.
But there are others who seek the treasure, too, forces powerful enough to reduce all of Middleburg, and perhaps the world, to ashes…



WON

 ~Kelley Brothers tote bag (from the Shade series by Jeri Smith-Ready): I won this from Fictitious Delicious during the Solstice Surprise on Twitter, which was held very late last year. To be honest I'd forgotten about it until it came last week. I can't wait to take it to ALA this summer in Anaheim with my now rare Border's bag and fill them both (and possibly a backpack too) with books!

FREE KINDLE BOOKS
~Stained by Ella James: When I found this one on Amazon, I just couldn't resist. And I really like the cover. I may be reviewing this one.


~The Willows: Haven (The Willows #1) by Hope Collier: LOVE this cover!! It sounds really interesting as well. I may be reviewing this one.


~Farsighted (Farsighted #1) by Emlyn Chand: I've oddly been seeing this one around lately, so when the author announced it was free for Kindle I jumped at the chance. I may be reviewing this one.

What did you guys get in your mailbox? Let me know in the comments!!

2 comments:

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.