Monday, February 27, 2012

Goddess Interrupted (Goddess Test #2) by Aimee Carter: review

Goodreads rating: 4.18
Paperback, 304 pages (ARC edition)
Expected publication: March 27th 2012 by HarlequinTeen

Kate Winters has won immortality.

But if she wants a life in the Underworld with Henry, she’ll have to fight for it.

Becoming immortal wasn’t supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she’s as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he’s becoming ever more distant and secretive. Then, in the midst of Kate’s coronation, Henry is abducted by the only being powerful enough to kill him: the King of the Titans.

As the other gods prepare for a war that could end them all, it is up to Kate to save Henry from the depths of Tartarus. But in order to navigate the endless caverns of the Underworld, Kate must enlist the help of the one person who is the greatest threat to her future.

Henry’s first wife, Persephone.


5/5

To be honest, I thought The Goddess Test (the first in this series) was alright. My biggest issue with it was that I didn’t feel very connected to Kate. She almost seemed emotionless to me, and I didn’t actually like her as the heroine of the story until the very end. I liked the idea of the novel itself, but it was hard connecting with the main character. Luckily, Carter changed all that in Goddess Interrupted.

Despite the fact that Kate is basically queen of the Underworld now, she was more relatable than in the first one. Again, I felt so detached in the first one because the main character was so aloof. I understood her more, and her emotions were made very clear to the reader. If my crying through the last half of the book is any indication, then it’s obvious that Carter did something really right this time around.

My heart ached over Kate and Henry’s love life. Kate feels like she needs to give Henry space, as she was gone with James for 6 whole months, and who knows what kind of conclusion Henry came to. But Kate isn’t Persephone, who becomes a whole other issue and who honestly deserves a slap in the face. Kate needs Persephone’s help defeating a Titan which evil Calliope has released, but in the end, I think Persephone did more hurt than help.  Because we all know Henry is still in love with her. Or is he?

I also liked the action plot of this one more than the first. I felt like there was a whole lot of waiting for Kate to get to her test (which we all know how that turned out). In this one, it’s pretty much non-stop action. Carter set it up wonderfully for the next one. Although I will admit, I LOATHE her for that cliffhanger. That was not okay. I think I legitimately yelled at the book.

If you’ve read The Goddess Test, definitely continue the series. The second in the series greatly outshines the first, so don’t give up hope!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome revie Nicole. I haven' started this series yet but I've been meaning to since I sarted seeing great reviews on this one. It sounds like a really fun series.

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.