Saturday, February 4, 2012

Fracture by Megan Miranda: review

Goodreads rating: 4.01
Hardcover, 262 pages
Published January 17th 2012 by Walker Childrens

 Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine
-despite the scans that showed significant brain damage. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?
Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening? 

3.5/5 


Fracture is a debut novel I was really looking forward to. It’s gotten great reviews, and the cover is gorgeous! On top of that, I knew I had to read it before I met the author. I finished it the same day that I went to the signing, and to be honest I was glad it was a quick read. Delaney wasn’t that likeable of a main character. She flip-flopped between boys, and while that is definitely a teenager thing to do, I think she went about it in the wrong way. In fact, all of these characters were flawed to the point that I was only reading the story for the mystery of her sudden power. And character development is a big thing for me, but I don’t think Delaney really grew up at all, except for realizing how Decker felt about her.

With all the flip-flopping between boys, there wasn’t the kind of romance I was hoping for. There were moments with both Decker and Troy that were really sweet, but I felt detached from any of the relationships. I think the best part of this novel was the mystery. Who is Troy and what does he really want with Delaney? Why does her brain function normally even though X-rays show it riddled with signs of intense brain damage? What really happened under the frozen lake? Not all of these questions are truly answered, but it was a good standalone YA novel. If this had been a series, there’s not much farther it could have gone with the way everything went down.

It was good, but I was hoping for better. It was a wonderful debut novel, and I liked Miranda’s writing style, and despite the lack of some character development, she did make her characters real to me. If you like mystery with some paranormal mixed in, then check this one out. I will most likely dive into the author’s next novel, as I enjoyed her writing style.

2 comments:

  1. I have high hopes for this one. Sorry to hear that it wasn't as good as you expected. Sometimes the hype leads to a bit of disappointment. I have Fracture and can't wait to see what I think of it. Thanks for the great review.
    -FABR Steph@FiveAlarmBookReviews

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought that Fracture was just okay. Maybe my expectations were too high due to all the hype. It's a good read, and very entertaining, but it wasn't GREAT. And the big question was never answered, so that bothered me. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I always appreciate comments and cherish every one of them. THIS IS AN AWARD-FREE ZONE. I don't have the time to fulfill the requirements for the awards, but thank you so much for thinking of me. I just ask for no vulgarity, and if you have any issues with my reviews or writing style, please e-mail me instead of commenting. Now, vent to your heart's content!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disclaimer

According to FTC guidelines, I'm obligated to share with you that all of the books that I review on my blog are either purchased by me or given to me by an author/publisher. All of the opinions expressed in my reviews are mine and I do not receive any sort of monetary goods for writing either good or bad reviews.